miracle gro potting soil

BrazenHussy87

Arachnopeon
is it completely safe to use miracle gro potting soil with a brick of coconut husk substrate?

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
No, miracle grow has deadly fertilizer balls, and many chemicals That can harm or even kill tarantulas. Use it only if you want to kill your tarantula. Otherwise, you can use peat moss, coco fiber, and an assortment of bioactive substrate. I personally use reptisoil which is a good, safe bio active substrate which works well with water and keeps a burrow from collapsing, you can use it on tarantulas. There are other safe substrate you can use, but since I only use bio active substrate, some other members will have to give you a list. You can find reptisoil in a lot of pet stores if you are wondering

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Look for topsoil with no additives -- the kind used for filling holes. Likely the cheapest of the bunch. Sometimes it has some peat or vermiculite mixed in, but you want no fertilizers, and preferably no manure either (because who knows if those cows ate stuff with pesticides on it, or walked in it, or whatever...)

My topsoil I use as sub does have some manure in it, but I tested it out on my feeder crickets first, and they did fine (actually survived better with it than without it) so I figured if it doesn't hurt the crickets, it would be ok with my T's. Been using it since February and it has been fine.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
For growing plants?
Hell yeah, cut that stuff with some coco fiber for a seed starter. 👌

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
I just got cheap, clean top soil and mixed it with coco fiber...no additives though at all...just top soil from a reputable company/source.

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
no the chemicals inside the soil are made for plants not animals

is it completely safe to use miracle gro potting soil with a brick of coconut husk substrate?
coconut fiber is better but it molds use reptioil or jungle mix or eco earth

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I checked the chemical content of a commercial potting soil a while back. YUMMY! Ammonium phosphate, glycosides, a petroleum byproduct, cadmium, mercury, copper, zinc or tin for fungicide. Like what are they using for a base; reclaimed sludge from under a landfill? EPA superfund stuff.

Last edited:

BrazenHussy87

Arachnopeon
Lol yeah so way late reply but I had mixed in roughly 2 cups to some coco husk stuff I had left over and then after the first initial response here I just ended up tossing it all in the trash and ordered some substrate from Josh’s frogs.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Lol yeah so way late reply but I had mixed in roughly 2 cups to some coco husk stuff I had left over and then after the first initial response here I just ended up tossing it all in the trash and ordered some substrate from Josh’s frogs.
It may be more expensive that way but I buy the premade substrates from a different company.

Once I made the mistake of putting pill bugs in miracle grow potting soil. They were dead with the next few hours.

R.I.P pill bugs, killed by my stupidity....