Minor Update - something new, something old (Modem Killer Post!)

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi there,

time for some small update....

Guess many of you know this guys better, than i do...

Phidippus spec.

Phidippus spec. (possibly P. audax?)

Phidippus spec. (Boy, are these large, you US - guys and gals should really have told us ignorant europeans how large your jumpers really get, oh dear....)

Deinopis spec., subadult male, starting to look mean

Something new, fresh offspring of giant fishing spider Ancylometes bogotensis

And here is "Mom" of afforementioned offspring, already preparing for sac no. 2....

Even more Ancylometes, this time Ancylometes spec. Oyapok, subadult male

Ancylometes spec. Oyapok, subadult female

Next (soon to be) "Mom", Lycosa (or Hogna??) spec. spain

Guess you know these, Phoneutria nigriventer, fresh moulted

Last not least the spiders i´m most interested in at the moment, Ctenidae ssp. ex Kenya, juvenile

More updates soon, still working on the sizes of C. getazi´s, an undescribed Heteropoda species, Macrothele calpeiana and of special interest, two more undetermined Ctenidae ssp. from Kenya, watch out.

Have a nice sunday everybody. :)

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Steven,

thanks!

Crazy times here. Around last year at the time, i would have been willing to spend major bucks to get hold of certain species, but they were just "impossible" to get.

Nowadays, i could use a 48h day and at least 6 arms if i wanted to keep any interesting species offered.... (not to mention, that i´d have to rent a whole storage hall for all that enclosures i´d need....)

Greetings,

Stefan

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
what's the legspan of adults of that Ctenidae ssp. ex Kenya ?
haven't seen those before,... they look indeed interesting :}

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what's the legspan of adults of that Ctenidae ssp. ex Kenya ?
haven't seen those before,... they look indeed interesting :}
Hi again,

donno for sure, like so much when it comes to this spiders...

Got introduced here as Palystes (Sparassidae)....

Adults are said to have some 8cm legspan, if i remeber this correct. Quite massive bodies in relation to the legs, though...

Quite interesting behaviour, too, they can climb as Cupiennius and Phoneutria, but some like to dig and seek shelter at the ground, too. Not really aggressive, but for sure no shy spiders.

Right now i´m having some offsprings of two other Ctenidae from Kenya here, too, but they´re still really tiny. Should be interesting, what will develop outta those...

Greetings,

Stefan

Sof

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm always looking forward to your updates Stefan :D

Those Deinopis sp do look mean, where are these from? Damn I wish I could get those Phoneutria sp around here :drool:

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Outstanding photos as always Stefan!!! And nice spiders, too.

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hy Stefan,

Can you tell me the leggspan of that sub-adult male Deinopis. I think mine is to. Buth it's difficult to guess.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm always looking forward to your updates Stefan :D

Those Deinopis sp do look mean, where are these from? Damn I wish I could get those Phoneutria sp around here :drool:
Hi there,

thanks!

The Deinopis originate from Kenya, the slings hatched here in germany, though they are not "my" offsprings.

With that much Phoneutia ssp.´s available here and that many offsprings around, i´d be surprised, if no Phoneutria offsprings will make it "over the pond" sometime in the future...

@ Arachno Kid

The jumpers came from the US, guess you´ll have it much easier than i had, to get hold of these species. Check the dealers in FL...

@ Steven Gielis

My Deinopis males have some 6cm legspans and some 2cm bodies right now. Don´t know for sure if it´ll be 1 or to 2 molts to adulthood, though...
As always: time will make sure...

@ Copperinmyveins

I wish i had at least 6 arms and 48h days, boy, what i could build up a collection.... :D ;)

Greetings,

Stefan

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Great pix, as always, Stefan. The one you labeled as possibly P. audax is definitely that species.

All the best, Michael

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great pix, as always, Stefan. The one you labeled as possibly P. audax is definitely that species.

All the best, Michael
Hi Mike,

thanks for claring that up! :)

Time for some more....

Finally, the first confirmed male spitters, Scytodes spec. Tanzania, 1,0

Remember those small "grey dots" in this thread?

HIT ME

Lookey, growing and growing even more....
Phoneutria spec. Paraguay, offspring good 3 months of age

Baby galore....
Ancylometes bogotensis

Cupiennius getazi

Heteropoda spec. "Plüsch" ex Malaysia offspring (damn, what´s "Plüsch" in english?)

Ctenidae ssp. Kenya, not adult yet
aka "the shy guy"....

For sure no shy guy: Phoneutria nigriventer juvi

Getting interested in my presence...

Have a nice sunday boys and girls.

Greetings,

Stefan

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
always a nice sunday when you post new pictures :D

awsome as usual :drool:

Heteropoda spec. "Plüsch" ex Malaysia
i know what ya mean with "Plüsch",...
correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's "fluffy" ???? :p

i think your Phoneutria nigriventer looks
also kinda fluffy in a cute way :}

michal1991

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
omg! great spiders! I want to have all of them :D But in Poland it's really hard...

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Stefan, great spiders indeed...
I also sent you a private message, you know...we're near (I'm from from Italy)
The Lycosidae sp. from Spain is Lycosa sp. forsure (I study exactly this genus, so I know it a bit). Maybe it could be Lycosa ambigua, but I should have the dead specimen for a correct determination. Could you possibly send me it when it will die naturally? You can put it in a little bottle with ethilic alcool at 70% (please, don't use the pink one used to clean).

Are you sure that it's a Ctenid, that guy from Kenya? The ocular disposition seems similar to Lycosidae (bigger posterior median eyes), even if it has some other caracteristic of Ctenidae (also bigger anterior median eyes..)...
As you said, also the behaviour is an "average" between Lycosidae (dig burrows) and Ctenidae (climb smooth surfaces)
It's really interesting...

Cheers
Ema

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

time for some more.

First one, a little unusual for me, Macrothele calpeiana sling in it´s home

Undescribed Heteropoda spec. "Plüsch", talk about slooow growing

Cupiennius getazi, possibly this gonna be a lil girl sometime soon... The exact opposite of the shown Heteropoda´s, lightning fast growers.

Ancylometes spec. Oyapok, adult female with sac. The mating of this species was unusually aggressive for this genus and resulted in a dead male.

Remember the "Shy Guy"? This is "The Return of the Shy Guy" (under title: Still Shy :D )

Lookey, what i´ve got! Yeah, you get it right, TWO sacs at once. Unfortunately No. 2 is dead by now. No. 3 seems to be the real deal again, though, growing and growing from day to day...

Growing from day to day, too, the offspring of sac No. 1 (same species, note colour differences)

And the latest addition, the result of a breeding project, Phoneutria reidyi sling, still tiny, but fat already...

Greetings,

Stefan

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great spiders and pics, as always Stefan!

That Ancylometes sac is amazing! Glad she dropped a sac since after what she did to the male:eek: .

Lindsey

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great spiders and pics, as always Stefan!

That Ancylometes sac is amazing! Glad she dropped a sac since after what she did to the male:eek: .

Lindsey
Hi Lindsey,

great to read you again! :)

Yeah, the sac is amazing, the mom ain´t. Just way too small for this species, apparently the sac is well done and has the right size, so it´s just a tad strange sight.
Hope the sac will be fertile, have some ideas why mom got out so small, could proof my idea with just a batch of fresh slings.

By the way: what are those D. albineus doing, are they still around? Here in germany the interest in this species is still increasing and some of the more educated breeders would like to get hold of some specimen for breeding purposes.

Take care!

Greetings,

Stefan