Minor Sexual Dimorphism in Monocentropus balfouri

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just my opinion here, but...

This does not confirm anything. I feel it's still all speculation, and we need a 100% success rate with regard to this dimorphism and then confirming by molt. I also certainly don't think people should post their balfouri for sale confirming gender based on this, at least not until it is proven.

Just my two cents.

TexasTreeViper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just my opinion here, but...

This does not confirm anything. I feel it's still all speculation, and we need a 100% success rate with regard to this dimorphism and then confirming by molt. I also certainly don't think people should post their balfouri for sale confirming gender based on this, at least not until it is proven.

Just my two cents.
I completely agree.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
@ Abraxas: I appreciate you coming to aid in my absence. Unlike some people on this site I have a life outside the AB and I got too preoccupied yesterday to post the pic so thanks again.

@ Goomba: It's people like you that really degrade this site. I asked an honest, intelligent question and individuals such as yourself try and belittle me yet the countless noob questions such as "What T should I get next?" get pages of responses from people offering help. That makes absolutely no sense. The lack of serious, intelligent conversation on this site is rediculous! So unless you have something of true worth to add to this thread I suggest you keep your little remarks to yourself. <edited>
This was a great thread till YOU got all offended. If you want "serious, intelligent conversation" maybe you should swallow a little bit of your own medicine and respond in the same way you would like others to respond to you. Take ^that as constructive criticism;)

That being said... these are great observations and I am sure a lot of M. b. owners, sellers, buyers can and will benefit from it. Good job guys!

Cheers,

TexasTreeViper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This was a great thread till YOU got all offended. If you want "serious, intelligent conversation" maybe you should swallow a little bit of your own medicine and respond in the same way you would like others to respond to you. Take ^that as constructive criticism;)
Had you been actively following the thread when it was first started or you would have known that there were a lot of posts that got deleted by moderators due to content. There was definitely grounds for offence.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Had you been actively following the thread when it was first started or you would have known that there were a lot of posts that got deleted by moderators due to content. There was definitely grounds for offence.
If that is the case then I recant my previous post.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to check my M. balfouri when I get home... he/she is near a molt so perhaps I can help confirm/disprove this theory, or at least contribute to discussion.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it would help, here are some pics of my M. balfouri.

Female

Male

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Confirmed by molt?
More than exuvium, sir. The male inthe photo is with hooks already. The female in the photo laid a sac thereafter but she decided to rearrange her enclosure a few days after, so it was a failed breeding attempt.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I seriously have my doubts about this (pre adult) Sexual Dimorphism, I have several males and females aprox 3" +/-
I didn't notice visual differences that I can point to, here is juvenile female (sexed confirmed)
http://www.net-bug.net/apps/photos/photo?photoid=155462813
I will post picture of male same size shortly,

Anastasia.

---------- Post added 05-10-2012 at 12:02 PM ----------

this is male, they are siblings(with females above) and in very close molt schedules.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Just got a balfouri, sexed by molt as being female. She's about 2.75" DLS.

johara_mbalfouri_recd.jpg

Marga

Tonys spiders

Arachnosquire
I can honestly say this is not true, because i have female thats around 5 inches and the blue extends slightly beyond her femurs just as much as a presumed pen ultimate male that i recently traded to Rich65. Both were sexed via molt. I beleieve coloration can differ from T to T. The method may work some of the time but if it doesnt work 100% of the time its not a good method to go by. Just my 2 cents.

Tony