Minor burn.

olll

Arachnosquire
My ball python got a minor burn, the heat mat was set to 100 F to keep the paper towel at 90. She dig under the paper towel and stayed there for 6 hours or so. Her belly now is a bit pink, you can barely see its pink but you can if you look closely. Anyway to treat it? I am setting the heat mat on 94 now.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My ball python got a minor burn, the heat mat was set to 100 F to keep the paper towel at 90. She dig under the paper towel and stayed there for 6 hours or so. Her belly now is a bit pink, you can barely see its pink but you can if you look closely. Anyway to treat it? I am setting the heat mat on 94 now.
That's what happens when heavy bodied snakes lie on top of a heat mat. You get thermal blocking where the heat builds up far more than what your thermostat is set at.

You need to create a gap between the mat and the bottom of the enclosure.

Blisters can turn nasty very quick from burns. Now obviously you have said there are no blisters. Best post pics of the belly so those with experience of burns can help your snake and state whether a vet needs to take a look or it will be fine.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
be responsible man and learn /research how to properly care for your snakes before they die from one of your mistakes

olll

Arachnosquire
Yeah, my mistake, too focused on the air temp. You can’t see it during the day for some reason, I will take a pic at night. Anything else I should be watching out for? Air temp is 75 to 82, humidity is 60 to 70. I do have a 20 gallon long and a 40 gallon with front opening. The 40 gallon is 31 by 19 by 22. Should I move her into tanks?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, my mistake, too focused on the air temp. You can’t see it during the day for some reason, I will take a pic at night. Anything else I should be watching out for? Air temp is 75 to 82, humidity is 60 to 70. I do have a 20 gallon long and a 40 gallon with front opening. The 40 gallon is 31 by 19 by 22. Should I move her into tanks?
Aye you need to concentrate on the floor temp with a mat. Set your thermostat to the right temp from that. Are you sure she is actually burnt and not coming to shed? Slightly pink belly scales can be an indicator of that. Pink belly, then they go into blue. When did she last shed?

olll

Arachnosquire
She is an adult so I dealt that. The burn it just very minor. Should I move her into a tank? The tank do have less floorspace.

Should I still have the heat mat on? She is also not pooping.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
what you should is this join a ball python forum and learn, read some good information on how to properly care for your snakes. it seems like you really do care about your snakes. the humidity numbers i never paid attention to when i kept snakes i just made sure they all had a water dish full of clean fresh water.so that they could fully soak their whole body into anytime they wanted to do so but you really need to go do alot of reading before you burn down your house or killing your snakes

olll

Arachnosquire
I can’t join BP net for reasons. I will get a pic at night. It is petty obvious that I have done a lot of research and haven’t got the answer, this is why I am here. How should I fix this. Everyone make mistakes, I am take in all of the reply’s while I could have just block you. You guy just don’t give me Solutions or ANSWERS. WHAT SHIULD I DO. When parents take care of animals you say the kids is not responsible, when a kid take care of an animal and make mistakes you say that’s not responsible. What’s responsible? Is there a rule saying that you need to be 18 to have a pet? Do I bath her everyday or what?

ignithium

Arachnoknight
Stop chasing the arbitrary numbers with regards to temperature and humidity. The snake will not die if the hot side of its enclosure is 80 degrees instead of 90 or if the humidity is 50 instead of 60. It will die pretty quickly if you burn it or keep rehousing it every day. Ball pythons are not hard to care for provided that you give adequate access to moisture.

If you're using paper towels as substrate turn the heat mat down or put it on the side of the enclosure. If you're not using paper towel, you should be using wood chips (not pine or cedar for God's sake). Provide a large, full bowl of clean water that the snake can bathe in at all times and don't worry about humidity beyond that. Since you already burned it, make sure you sort the heat mat out so that it doesn't happen again, soak the snake in water and hope that it doesn't get infected. I would advise to apply some kind of disinfectant but i have a feeling that if i did your next post would be something along the lines of "help i accidentally fed my snake a whole bottle of neosporin".......

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I can’t join BP net for reasons. I will get a pic at night. It is petty obvious that I have done a lot of research and haven’t got the answer, this is why I am here.
How is any research you've done supposed to be obvious to any of us? You're asking basic questions that a Google search would tell you answers to. You're asking a ton of questions, that demonstrate very little research on your part (enclosure size, what to use as a hide, how to heat the enclosure, mouth rot).

@kingshockey has given you a link to agood source of husbandry advice, go read it. And then read it again.

olll

Arachnosquire
Stop chasing the arbitrary numbers with regards to temperature and humidity. The snake will not die if the hot side of its enclosure is 80 degrees instead of 90 or if the humidity is 50 instead of 60. It will die pretty quickly if you burn it or keep rehousing it every day. Ball pythons are not hard to care for provided that you give adequate access to moisture.

If you're using paper towels as substrate turn the heat mat down or put it on the side of the enclosure. If you're not using paper towel, you should be using wood chips (not pine or cedar for God's sake). Provide a large, full bowl of clean water that the snake can bathe in at all times and don't worry about humidity beyond that. Since you already burned it, make sure you sort the heat mat out so that it doesn't happen again, soak the snake in water and hope that it doesn't get infected. I would advise to apply some kind of disinfectant but i have a feeling that if i did your next post would be something along the lines of "help i accidentally fed my snake a whole bottle of neosporin".......
You can google everything, what is the point of this forum. Also, please read my reply’s, the belly is a little pink, the husbandry is there also. Only you gives me some solutions but you didn’t read my reply’s and what I said.

I know the <edit> husbandry, just read my comments. It’s not hard to read if you have ever been to elementary school.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know the <edit> husbandry, just read my comments. It’s not hard to read if you have ever been to elementary school.
Well that attitude will really make members flock.

If you knew the correct husbandry you wouldn't be here.

I asked when your snake last shed as pink belly can be an indication of her about to be in blue.

I also replied you need to measure the temp on the floor the enclosure. So put your thermostat probe under the mat and then use a thermometer to measure the temp. You might have to set the thermostat to 32c to get 28c for example on bottom of your enclosure inside.

Be aware large bodied snakes can cause thermal blocking by themselves as well as substrate.

I would highly suggest you search ballpythons.net and look for how to safely set up a heat mat. Then from there carry on reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I know the [edit] husbandry, just read my comments. It’s not hard to read if you have ever been to elementary school.
If you KNEW the husbandry then you wouldn't have BURNT the snake.

olll

Arachnosquire
Well that attitude will really make members flock.

If you knew the correct husbandry you wouldn't be here.

I asked when your snake last shed as pink belly can be an indication of her about to be in blue.

I also replied you need to measure the temp on the floor the enclosure. So put your thermostat probe under the mat and then use a thermometer to measure the temp. You might have to set the thermostat to 32c to get 28c for example on bottom of your enclosure inside.

Be aware large bodied snakes can cause thermal blocking by themselves as well as substrate.

I would highly suggest you search ballpythons.net and look for how to safely set up a heat mat. Then from there carry on reading.
Sorry, I just got very mad there. I have a temperature gun to measure the floor temp, I also have 2 hydrometer and thermometer. Very sorry, I am just mad because I spend 1 month getting all the supplies and doing my research, i thought that I was doing a great job. Ball python net just doesn’t work for me for some reason. She got burned because she went under the paper towel. Very sorry, shouldn’t have said that.

Sorry, I just got mad there, I have a temp gun to measure the floor temp, I also have 2 hydrometer and thermometers. Very sorry, I am just mad because I spend 1 month getting my supplies and doing my research, I thought that I was doing a great job. Ball python net doesn’t work for me for some reasons. She got burned because she went under the paper towel. Very sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Right. Well once again, if the belly scales are just pink how can you be sure she isn't about to come in blue?

You DON'T have to become a member to look at search results. Just Google a question and then look at the replies from ballpythons.net.

I have a tri coloured hognose snake that I keep in a 145lt RUB with a head mat on a thermostat underneath about 1/3rd of her enclosure. I use a thick layer of aspen for her substrate so she can behave naturally and burrow into it.

Now obviously Harley Quinn isn't a ball python but you still can set up your enclosure similar. You just have to be aware.

olll

Arachnosquire
I just always think of the worst, I just can’t find the same situation on google.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I just always think of the worst, I just can’t find the same situation on google.
What is the current enclosure? A glass aquarium? A RUB? An Exo terra terrarium or similar?