Minimum Substrate H.Lividum

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, i recently saw a friends H.Lividum enclosure and there was only like 3-4 inches of substrate in the tank, it was kinda banked towards the back and looked really gud. His Lividum had webbed herfelf a nice hole intot he substrate and was keeping an egg sack. i have mine in like 4-5 inches (juvenile/subadult) and i havnt seen it since the week i got it! Was just wondering if i could lower the substrate.

This is strictly for viewing purposes.

thanks

dayredfern

Oh i also got my first B.Smithi 2 day! shes 6 yrs old n a stunner!

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
strange indeed. I heard there were certain conditions in the tank that would entice the lividium to hang out in the open all the time. What where those again? :? someone will have to fill me in.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
strange indeed. I heard there were certain conditions in the tank that would entice the lividium to hang out in the open all the time. What where those again? :? someone will have to fill me in.
I'm baffled myself, all I ever hear about the lividums is that they are a pet hole, w.e secret your friend has to keep it out on the open is truly an impressive feat..

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How big is your friends lividium? If it's adult or close to it, 3 or 4 inches isn't enough substrate. It would only be a pit and they like a deep burrow. That would probably be why it's still on top. They like to burrow and if yours is burrowed, I would leave it alone because it is happy there. If you change it up and take away the burrow, you will cause the T a lot of stress and all it'll do is hunker down against the back wall like your friends is. It not happy when it's visible.

Congrats on the smithi. Pretty coloration.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is strictly for viewing purposes.
If you want a viewing tarantula, you picked the wrong species. ;) Lividum needs to burrow, they're a burrowing species. Their instincts tell them to burrow for shelter and safety, and without a burrow, they don't feel safe. Denying them their natural processes so we can look at them more often isn't right. :(

EDIT: Curse you, cheetah! {D

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok den 'Happy' stays in the hole! wil it push its exuvium out of its burrow? cos i dnt fancy going to get it lol

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok den 'Happy' stays in the hole! wil it push its exuvium out of its burrow? cos i dnt fancy going to get it lol
Yes. When it gets tired of messing with it herself. She will dispose of it by throwing it out.

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my lividum is around 9-11cm female and hasnt burrowed for 2 days. i made a pre made burrow still not. the substrate level is around 5-6in. maybe i should offer a hide? i am attempting to mate them but both is not interested. male is around 11-12.5cm.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my lividum is around 9-11cm female and hasnt burrowed for 2 days. i made a pre made burrow still not. the substrate level is around 5-6in. maybe i should offer a hide? i am attempting to mate them but both is not interested. male is around 11-12.5cm.
How long have you had it? It can take up to three weeks for them to get comfortable in a new home and want to burrow. Give it time, some moisture and not a hide. They want to be under ground.

FOOTBALL FAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mine is in 5 inches of substrate and shes an adult im not happy to be honest but I have her in there now and shes made a long burrow and it was so hectic getting her in that I dont fancy moving her when she seems happy.

As for tricks to keep her in the open if shes in the open it means shes not happy a happy lividum you wont hardly ever see, if you wanted a T you can see you should of got a different sp

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I put a hide in with mine when I got her and after a couple hours roaming the tank she went straight in and got to work on a burrow.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I put a hide in with mine when I got her and after a couple hours roaming the tank she went straight in and got to work on a burrow.
Mine as well. Whenever I change the substrate, I'll pre-start a burrow, then put a hide over the top of it. I pre-start my burrow right up against the enclosure glass, and my lividums have so far always continued that burrow, excavating a nice hole for themselves right where I can see them any time I like. I tape a sheet of paper with a forest scene or whatever up over their burrow to block out the light, otherwise they'll push dirt up against the glass or web over it, and I'd be back to square one--not able to see her.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I do much the same as Varden. I make sure that the only way they can burrow is where I can see them. There is a bit of a trickery involved lol pre making the burrow helps........ and they do the rest and think they are hiding when really I can see them the whole time! Sometimes depending on how spastic they are ill tape up some black paper so they dont see any light so when I want to see them in the burrow I just take the paper off.

Arachno~Raver

Arachnopeon
i've been told if you let the top of the substrate dry out a bit it can encourage the t to burrow in search of more moist humid substrate is that true?