Miniature T's

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was just wondering, other than the small size, what makes the miniature T's not so popular? Their not talked about much and they don't seem to be that abundant in the hobby. The H. incei and the P. scrofa are the examples I have.

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think size is the main problem, unfortunately. H.incei has some great coloring and one of these days I am going to buy one, I think though, people buy them as slings and somehow kill it and then they just consider it as a hassle.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I personally think all the dwarf species are both beautiful and a great idea cause they dont take up much room! anyone with lots of Ts can appreciate a spider that can be housed comfortable in a small container.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have both the encei and scrofa and a slew of other slings without problem. I'm sure I will run into a problem at some point but I have not heard of these T's being problematic.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
forgot about the fasciatum. The colors on these T's are amazeing. No reason they aren't more popular than they are.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
C. elegans is really tiny also. I don't know why they aren't more popular. I have a P. scrofa juvie that is a very sweet gentle T. I would imagine though that breeding them could be tough. Regular slings are small enough but dwarf slings must be really hard to avoid injuring.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Didn't think of that. I imagine they are considerably more fragile.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:? Come on people. Size can't be the only thing that's holding these T back.:?

FOOTBALL FAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like any T any spider actually I just got a Yammie sling they grow to an adult size of 2 inches

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
keep in mind the small Ts are generally quite short lived by comparison. and I do think that the small slings are a definate issue for most breeders.. perhaps the dwarf sp are simply newer to the hobby and really only appeal to those who are interested in going the extra mile to care for such small spiders.. Im sure people would buy them full grown but who wants to sell it once they have spent the time to raise it! and again the short lifespan comes into play, you may only get a couple years out of an adult specimen you buy from someone. Im sure for the casual hobbyist it is too much effort to watch a spider 1/16" and make sure all its needs are tended to. some may look at it that "why have a Tarantula if it isnt big and hairy?" we would need the opinions of people who DONT like them to balance this thread out properly.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are the miniatures prone to being extremely secretive and reclusive. I know a lot of them love the excessive web thing but so do a lot of the bigger, more popular T's.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From what I have heard and read I think the Dwarf sp. tend to be reclusive web dwellers. down in a hole and not often seen I would imagine.. much like any other incredibly sttractive spider.. tends to stay hidden away :D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I love Holothele and Cyriocosmus. They're just a less common species due to less breedings.
P. scrofa I find to be rather dull.

-Sean

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm gonna have to go with the size factor. When alot of the people I know got into T's part it was for some form of shock value.

Convo with a larger T...

Bob T: Hey guys check out my new pet.

Friend: Holy frito look at the size of that thing!

Convo with a dwarf T...

Bob T: Hey guys check out my new pet.

Friend: Where...

Bob T: Right there in the corner...

Friend: Where...

Bob T: Next to that pebble.

Friend: Oh I thought that was a pebble.

Me personaly I avoid them because of the size, I've got big hands and hate dealing with things that tiny. I have some pet mice and I don't mess with them cause they're so tiny, afraid I might squash one.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally think all the dwarf species are both beautiful and a great idea cause they dont take up much room! anyone with lots of Ts can appreciate a spider that can be housed comfortable in a small container.
I agree. And I like all T's. Big ones and small ones!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, i got a cyriocosmos half a year ago ( a juvie, it's nearly 1 cm body length), and i must say it discouraged me from keeping more of them. it is stunningly beautiful and apparently a good eater, but i NEVER see it. i've seen it only once in those six months, and only because i happened to have a look at the ts when i came home from a party in the middle of the night.

you can argue that it's the same with haplos and many other old worlders, but i don't keep those either, and for the same reasons. the only pet hole i just can't part with is my cyriopagopus spec. blue - she's just too stunning, and female to boot :eek:.

i thought about getting one or two h. incei, they are beautiful as well. but i've heard that they are very reclusive as well, so i'm not sure i'll really do it.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got a couple of Phlogiellus baeri slings recently (and yes: they're tiny. Though they might've been grown on a bit, too) and I'm awaiting some Heterothele villosella. It was the colours of the latter that did it for me. At least in the advertising photo. :D
The baeri don't seem to be very hard to take care of, so far. They readily take squashed crickets and had no problems adopting or digging their own burrows. But then that leads onto the fact that they are - to agree with everyone else - pretty much pet holes.

Nevertheless I think I'd like to get a few more species in future. Holothele incei, maybe. (I wonder was the 'incey' intentional?) But I'm a little discouraged to hear of the short lifespan. I guess size and colour are turn-offs too; but I'm not so worried about those, meself.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i thought about getting one or two h. incei, but i've heard that they are very reclusive as well, so i'm not sure i'll really do it.
Nevertheless I think I'd like to get a few more species in future. Holothele incei, maybe.
I have a incei sling and I've had it for a couple of months now. I've had no problems with it taking small crickets. If the crick wasa little bigger than the T, I would just injure the crick a little. It works real well for questionable food size. The incei do web a lot but mine has stayed above substrate and there is no substrate in the webbing making it harder to see. As far as mine is concerned, I can see it whenever I want. That might change as it grows though.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Dwarf species I own:

Cyriocosmus :
elegans, sp "Bolivia" sp (not really a dwarf), sp "leetzi"/venezuela

Heterothele villosella

Holothele:
incei, sp "Venezuela/Aragua"

Metriopelma:
familaire, sp "Venezuela/Aragua", trinitatis, sp "Carababo", zebratum

Plesiophrictus sp "India"

Theraphosidae (Possibly "Yamia") sp. "Ranong"

The dwarf species I've kept have been easier to keep and hardier than any other types of tarantulas I've kept and are no less visible when set up properly.

bkirchner81

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
** moricollins- why no mention of the Eupaluestrus Weijenberghi?

Do you still have her? I see the name was Flicky (from your pic link)....

I hope my sling does not turn out to be an extreme hair-kicker!

:cool: