Miniature T's

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
** moricollins- why no mention of the Eupaluestrus Weijenberghi?

Do you still have her? I see the name was Flicky (from your pic link)....

I hope my sling does not turn out to be an extreme hair-kicker!

:cool:
I don't consider the Eupaluestrus weijenberghi a "dwarf" tarantula, nor woud *I* consider most Cyclosternum species as "dwarf" species.

Mori

Also, the Eupaluestrus weijenberghi is not in my collection anymore, thus not a species *I* own.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Hey Mori,
C. sp "Bolivia" is not a dwarf species? I knew they got bigger than C. elegans, but how big do they get exactly? It is definitely a species I plan to get this year and I'd love to get some Metriopelma sp. as well.

Just a quick comment on H. incei, they will take prey larger than themselves. They are very voracious eaters.
I've been lucky, most of my dwarf species have made their burrows near the sides of the containers so that I may see them more often. Although my C. elegans recently dug a burrow to the middle of nowhere and I haven't seen her since.

I have the following dwarfs,
Cyriocosmus elegans
Holothele incei
Ornithoctonus sp. "Koh Samui"
Yamia sp. "Koh Samui"

One reason why dwarfs are not as popular is that many of them are just finding their way into the hobby, and probably are a little pricey at the moment. Most Cyriocosmus species are still over $100 for a very tiny sling. Thankfully the prices are coming down in Canada due to Martin and Amanda's wonderful breeding efforts.

Another reason is the size. The slings are microscopic, this may deter some hobbyists from wanting them. What most people don't know is that the majority of them are very fast growing and very hardy. Also alot of people don't bother with dwarfs because they prefer larger tarantulas. A 6" tarantula is considered more impressive than a 2" one. Well to some people anyway.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hey Mori,
C. sp "Bolivia" is not a dwarf species? I knew they got bigger than C. elegans, but how big do they get exactly? It is definitely a species I plan to get this year and I'd love to get some Metriopelma sp. as well.
Comparison between "bolivia" and elegans

Laura, if you're looking into Metriopelma I suggest Metriopelma familaire or zebratum, they are the most enthusiastic eaters of the genus of the species I keep, just my two cents.

Mori

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Thanks Mori,
It still looks dwarfish to me.:) Thanks for the recommendation, those are two that I really like, so I will be sure to pick some up this year.
Cheers,
Laura

kurisute_hasu

Arachnopeon
If I had the housing (on my part -transferring to the dorms who aren't big on arachnids as pets-) and the money I would get quite a few Holothele sp.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for your input. It's helped a lot. I am not a large spider lover. I am a tarantula lover, no matter what size.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks yourself, Cheetah. ;)

Metriopelma:
sp "Carababo"
I've seen these at the spider shop (if caraboo=carababo), and I'm thinking of including one or two in my next order. Thanks to Lee for providing useful information on the page; but I'd also like to hear your opinion on this species, Mori.

Lorgakor said:
One reason why dwarfs are not as popular is that many of them are just finding their way into the hobby, and probably are a little pricey at the moment.
If you click on the link above, you'll see why the price attracts me. :} And the other pygmy slings there aren't far off.
I'm surprised at the variance in price, but hopefully this is what you mean about future Canadian prices.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Yes that certainly is a great price for those! Makes me wish I lived over on your side of the pond!:D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
** moricollins- why no mention of the Eupaluestrus Weijenberghi?

Do you still have her? I see the name was Flicky (from your pic link)....

I hope my sling does not turn out to be an extreme hair-kicker!

:cool:
Are the E. weijenberghi considered a dwarf species? I didn't think they were. All I know about them at the moment is that my little sling eats very well, and is easy to care for. Did I miss something? Is there anything else I need to know? And, yes, Mori, I did do a search and didn't turn up anything significant.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was just wondering, other than the small size, what makes the miniature T's not so popular? Their not talked about much and they don't seem to be that abundant in the hobby. The H. incei and the P. scrofa are the examples I have.
Simple:

We're a culture that embraces instant gratification - bigger, better, faster, more!

The little 'uns are not as impressive to the average T keeper, which most of us are. Like any collection, though, once you have the big, bright, colourful species, the real challenge begins...{D

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I've seen these at the spider shop (if caraboo=carababo), and I'm thinking of including one or two in my next order. Thanks to Lee for providing useful information on the page; but I'd also like to hear your opinion on this species, Mori.
These guys grow SLOOOOW in my experience, my 3 are still 1/3" slings and I've had them 9 months at 77 F or so and fed as much as they will eat, they don't seem to grow much; I bought them at 1/4"

Are the E. weijenberghi considered a dwarf species? I didn't think they were. All I know about them at the moment is that my little sling eats very well, and is easy to care for. Did I miss something? Is there anything else I need to know? And, yes, Mori, I did do a search and didn't turn up anything significant.
My female "E. weijenberghi" is about 3.5-4" not what I'd consider a dwarf species, I've no idea where the idea came that they are dwarf.
:?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I find no interess in a big Theraphosa blondi, and im addicted to my Heterothele villosella. Just like I find no interess at all in colorful spider's ... you know ... I dont want toy's'aurus spider's ...

What makes a spider interresting is'nt its color or its size ... its more complex then that

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can somebody start a thread in the Tarantula Pictures forum of their miniature T's? especially the pictures with something next to them like a coin so we can gauge the size.

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow, that's about the size my c. elegans has - i didn't think they stayed THAT small...:eek: oh well, i never see her anyway... is there any way to tell the sexes apart prior to a male's final molt - short of a microscope, i mean?

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like C Elegans the mum in the picture has about a 15mm legspan so you can see how small tha spiderlings are.