Mini spot heating lamps

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
I was recently watching Youtube and I noted that several people were using these mini spot lights for gradient heating. They were about the size of a standard flashlight reflector and appeared to be mounted through the mesh screen top. I thought this type of setup would be ideal as room is so limited with racking. Does anyone here use this type of setup, and if so what components did you use? Any alternatives to the big dome refectors that others employ would be appreciated also. Thanks.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
without knowing hardly at all of what items you speak of.....it sounds like the mini halogen domes. I know zilla makes them. they do put out some pretty good heat and would likely work for a smaller enclosure if the temps are regulated with a thermostat. also halogen light is really "clean" and natural in my opinion. hope this helps.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Didnt know these existed, look great for concentrating a heat/light spot in vivarium. Now to look into UK suppliers.. :)

Thank you!

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
I have had experience with them before. I would for sure say to use a thermostat if your enclosure is small. even the lamps are small, they put out some pretty good heat that reach high levels if youre not careful. the best part I think is how natural the light output looks.
I know they are made by zilla because I have used them. I'm sure they are sold through different distributers as well under a different name.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
You talking about some thing like this ? I haven't seen zilla product like this, but this lamp is 11 cm . Vivarium light and heat . Like a small flashlight .

Attachments

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
that's really the same concept. do a google search for "zilla mini halogen dome" and you will see the one I have experience with. they are only about 3 inches tall and 2 inches wide or so. they are tiny!

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Oh yes I did, they are tiny indeed . But these are interesting as well, I just wanted to clarify. Cause I don't know anyone who uses these little ones I posted a pic of there. But I wanted to try them. Just worrisome about it potentially killing something to show if it's good or not.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Oroborus (Hemlock Grove?)

What species are we talking about? Depending on the species you may not need any supplemental heating at all depending on the the ambient room temperature that they are in.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
@Oroborus (Hemlock Grove?)

What species are we talking about? Depending on the species you may not need any supplemental heating at all depending on the the ambient room temperature that they are in.
Androctonus, Leiurus, Parabuthus and certain Hottentotta. There are certain times that additional heating is not necessary; however, during the winter months if I keep my spider room warm enough for them it will too warm for many of my tarantulas. Just looking at possibilties. Cheers.