Minerals in substrate harmful?

darlingi

Arachnosquire
Hey! :)

I'm new to tarantula-keeping and just got my first one, a t. albopilosus on sunday.

Today I woke up to some mold/fungi in my terrarium, so I went to pick up some isopods. I was happy to see them getting to work right away. However, the substrate they came in has some small minerals in them.
Some of them almost have a metallic shine, so I'm kinda worried now that they might hurt my girl (by being sharp). Probably it's just some sand mixed in there and nothing to worry about?
I could obviously remove the substrate again, (after the isopods have buried deeper), but I don't want to put my albo into even more stress, so I thought I should ask if it's even necessary.
I've attached a picture, but the grains look much bigger than they really are.

Thank you! :)

substrate.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t see any reasons.

You can change substrates once you’re rehousing later after your tarantula molts or two.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Not a problem. It's either calcium or vermiculite. What kind of isopods though? They're able to munch on molting Ts so it's always a little risky using them; I believe a lot of people use dwarf whites without issue, but even they can take out a T if the numbers get high. Springtails are a better cleanup crew - they pose no risk whatsoever.

darlingi

Arachnosquire
Not a problem. It's either calcium or vermiculite. What kind of isopods though? They're able to munch on molting Ts so it's always a little risky using them; I believe a lot of people use dwarf whites without issue, but even they can take out a T if the numbers get high. Springtails are a better cleanup crew - they pose no risk whatsoever.
They are white dwarf isopods. I’m surprised since this is the first time I'm hearing they could harm my T, and I’ve done a LOT of research before. I was browsing a german T forum and haven’t read anything else than that they’re totally safe for the T.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
They are white dwarf isopods. I’m surprised since this is the first time I'm hearing they could harm my T, and I’ve done a LOT of research before. I was browsing a german T forum and haven’t read anything else than that they’re totally safe for the T.
It's a numbers game, and like I said many people use them without issue - especially dwarf whites. It seems to be a bigger issue with isopods that enjoy more protein, but evidence is still a little scarce. I'm linking a few threads I found below though, not all on Ts but if a molting centipede/scorpion is vulnerable, so is a T. It's a judgement call you have to weigh yourself: risk vs reward. Risk might not be high, at least with dwarfs, but I'd argue it's still there.

Molting centipede being attacked (with pictures):

Scorpling being attacked:
Post with a general discussion on this topic:

There's probably more on here but that's what I found in 2 minutes.

darlingi

Arachnosquire
It's a numbers game, and like I said many people use them without issue - especially dwarf whites. It seems to be a bigger issue with isopods that enjoy more protein, but evidence is still a little scarce. I'm linking a few threads I found below though, not all on Ts but if a molting centipede/scorpion is vulnerable, so is a T. It's a judgement call you have to weigh yourself: risk vs reward. Risk might not be high, at least with dwarfs, but I'd argue it's still there.

Molting centipede being attacked (with pictures):
Scorpling being attacked:
Post with a general discussion on this topic:

There's probably more on here but that's what I found in 2 minutes.
Yeah, seems like there's no real evidence but these threads still made me anxious. My T buried herself and sealed her entrance 2 days ago, so I really don't want to disturb her further by trying to get rid of the isopods. From what I've read, they need constant moisture, so I might just let the substrate dry out and they should be gone? This should be no problem for my albopilosus since some people keep them in bone-dry enclosures, right?

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Yeah, seems like there's no real evidence but these threads still made me anxious. My T buried herself and sealed her entrance 2 days ago, so I really don't want to disturb her further by trying to get rid of the isopods. From what I've read, they need constant moisture, so I might just let the substrate dry out and they should be gone? This should be no problem for my albopilosus since some people keep them in bone-dry enclosures, right?
Drying out the sub should take care of it I think, I don't have experience with dwarf whites though so can't say for certain how tolerant they are. Worth a shot if you do want to get rid of them- definitely don't dig the spider out.

Keep the water dish full. Slings are more susceptible to dehydration because they don't have a waxy coating to retain moisture yet. Assuming it's a sling: should be fine dry for a bit but if it's buried for an extended period of time, dribble water near it's burrow (not in) so there's some moisture in the sub there. Just a little, you don't want to flood the burrow. If it's a juvie/adult it'll be perfectly fine dry.

darlingi

Arachnosquire
My T is exactly 3 years old, so it would be a juvenile I think? I'm not sure for how long "sling" applies. I'll let it dry out and hope she will be okay.
This is driving me crazy, but given how many people use the dwarf whites without issues, there's probably no need to stress out over it. Thank you!

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Age is about as meaningful as humidity: not whatsoever. Their growth depends on how often they eat and how optimal their environmental conditions are, not time itself.

Generally this is how I might think of it:
Sling - Fragile tiny spider, 1/8" to 1.5" or so, maybe a bit bigger for larger species. No waxy coating at this size.
Juvie - Small/medium, some draw this line when they start to get their adult colors. This stage goes anywhere from ~1.5"+ to whatever the adult size is.
Adult - big beautiful, sexually mature spider

I just pulled that out of my butt - it's pretty subjective and kinda varies on adult size. For an albo I'd say if it's easily larger than a quarter, it's a juvie.

If you try to measure it after it comes out, we do so diagonally (DLS): length from the front leg on one side to the back leg on the other

Don't stress. Your spider will most likely be perfectly fine. You just added the isopods so even if they try, there's not enough of a population to pose a threat.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
the grains look like small diameter perlite, not a problem. Good luck with the isopods, springtails would be better!