min heigh for c. crawshayi enclosure

pancho64

Arachnopeon
im expecting a mature female king baboon (5-6in) next week and im trying to decide what size enclosure to keep her in. ideally it would be in a tank that would fit on my shelf but the height limit is 11in. is that not enough for this species? i know they love to burrow and that is why im concerned. any input would be appreciated. thank you

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well then I would take a 11 inch high tank, fill it of 8 inch of semi humid substrate, not bone dry, not very humid ... make a pre-made burrow in the middle, cover it of a cork bark or crossed rock's, and you will have a happy Citharischius crawshayi

Exemple, as you can see theres no crossed rock's or cork bark, but my burrow is 19 inch deep and it was'nt necessary. You can also note that the substrate is humid, because this is a west African species living in extremly humid environnement, wich is'nt the case for your Citharischius crawshayi that live in the East Africa, where its dryer, but still not bone dry.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey pancho, sorry I didn't reply to your PM yet, but since you made a thread I'll reply here.

For a 5"-6" C.crawshayi I would say having atleast 9" of soil would be the best. Plenty of room to dig up and down and side to side(well, depending on the other demensions of the tank).

Like Cedrik said, keep her moderately moist, not soaking wet or bone dry. In between is the best. Good luck and I better see some pics when your new Ts arrive. {D Welcome back haha!

pancho64

Arachnopeon
went to look at cages today. and a 10 gal. is only a foot high. is that even too small? it seems like it could be roomy enough. maybe a custom acrylic cage would be my best bet. I think I'm gona give on on the 11in limit..seems like it won't be enough room

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What are the dimensions of the 11" high tank?

I think the 10 gal. would work fine. More room side to side.

pancho64

Arachnopeon
thinking of getting a custom acrylic cage made thats 11x12x18 (h,w,l) think this will be adequate enough for a mf c. crawshayi?

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A 10 gallon tank works just fine for an adult Female. Mine has burrows throughout the substrate, seems plenty happy {D