Millipedes smell like mint

PrettyPede

Arachnopeon
So my daughter and I recently got some Texas Gold and Sonoran Desert pedes. They have a most peculiar smell, like minty toothpaste almost. Does anyone know why they smell like that?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I have heard that some species' defensive secretions will smell somewhat fruity, but I haven't heard any reports of Orthoporus sp. giving off a mint-like smell. Were they secreting their defensive chemicals when you smelled it?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

PrettyPede

Arachnopeon
I have heard that some species' defensive secretions will smell somewhat fruity, but I haven't heard any reports of Orthoporus sp. giving off a mint-like smell. Were they secreting their defensive chemicals when you smelled it?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
No they weren’t secreting anything. We have 12 and they all smell like toothpaste. My daughter had a smoky oak and it didn’t have a smell whatsoever. This minty thing just has me stumped.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
That's interesting! Maybe they were fed something minty?
I went to go smell my Orthoporus sp. and they didn't smell particularly like anything.
and then one pooped on me.

PrettyPede

Arachnopeon
That's interesting! Maybe they were fed something minty?
I went to go smell my Orthoporus sp. and they didn't smell particularly like anything.
and then one pooped on me.
When I got them, they were eating carrot. Maybe they had mint leaves not long ago? ‍♀

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Could be...
I honestly don't know. Let us know how they do though, and whether or not they continue to smell like mint.

Thanks,

Arthroverts