Millipedes in sphagnum

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Are there any benefits or detriments to including moist sphagnum moss in a millipede set up? I have some I use in terrariums; it is organic Angel moss. Without thinking it could be a problem, I added some in with my Ivories. The substrate is coconut fiber, leaf compost, rotted oak, etc.. This is in addition to that. It is really good at holding moisture. Does anyone have any experience using it or know of any problems?

jaredc

Arachnosquire
I use a base of sphagnum for my millipede and isopod subs. Works well and retains moisture.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's slightly acidic too, which should help keep mold and and potentially mites down.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used it in my first big pede tank, it didn't seem to make much of a difference vs a cocofiber/rotten wood/dead leaves mix, but if you're worried about retaining moisture it could be a good idea.

It's slightly acidic too, which should help keep mold and and potentially mites down.
I'm not sure discouraging mold is necessarily a good thing for pedes? Some mold is necessary to break down their food, after all.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I used it in my first big pede tank, it didn't seem to make much of a difference vs a cocofiber/rotten wood/dead leaves mix, but if you're worried about retaining moisture it could be a good idea.

I'm not sure discouraging mold is necessarily a good thing for pedes? Some mold is necessary to break down their food, after all.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thanks, all. I feel better about it now. Just don't want to make a stupid mistake. I was worried they would get tangled. :) I need to quit being a mother hen and let them be millies. Sphagnum stays.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Ah yeah, that's a very good point! I guess using some wouldn't be a bad thing, especially for moisture retention, but too much could be detrimental if that's the case.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I've used sphagnum moss in many of my millipede, tarantula, isopod and amphibian enclosures without problem and have not found it to discourage mold -- presence of decaying wood and leaf litter and moisture level determine mold levels -- usually only temporary and not a problem for millipedes and isopods although I spot remove white stuff -- perhaps unnecessary. Anyway, the few times that I've had an overabundance of mold (for me anyway, lol, the millipedes and isopods seemed fine) there was abundant sphagnum moss -- I think some even had mold growing on it!