Millipedes in Southern California?

sloth

Arachnoknight
Are there millipedes in Southern California? If so what type of area do they prefer? Thanks

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, there are lots of different millipede species that can be found in SoCal. Millipedes need moisture to survive, so you're more likely to find them in the mountain/wooded/coastal regions where it's just a bit more moist. I have also found some of the big Spirobolida in the more desert/chaparral areas around Redlands/Riverside/Moreno Valley - but usually only in the spring, after a rain.

sloth

Arachnoknight
Yes, there are lots of different millipede species that can be found in SoCal. Millipedes need moisture to survive, so you're more likely to find them in the mountain/wooded/coastal regions where it's just a bit more moist. I have also found some of the big Spirobolida in the more desert/chaparral areas around Redlands/Riverside/Moreno Valley - but usually only in the spring, after a rain.
Thank you so much. I had a feeling you probably would be able to find some but I just didn’t know where to look.

AceXprt

Arachnopeon
YES! Ive found a large species in the San Gabriel Mountain Bridge to Nowhere Trail. They are mostly found under rocks and in piles of moist leaves.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You can find some large Atopetholus sp. in the desert after heavy rains, and then Tylobolus sp. and Hiltonius sp. in the mountains and forests after heavy rains or near water sources. I found a 4"-5" gorgeous red-brown millipede in Lytle Creek crossing a path, and then some small platydesmids/polydesmids/polyxenids/I-am-really-not-sure-but-they-were-cool-looking millipedes under a large rotting stump sort of thing. You really just got to go where there is water, and they should be there.
Where specifically are you planning on searching?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

sloth

Arachnoknight
You can find some large Atopetholus sp. in the desert after heavy rains, and then Tylobolus sp. and Hiltonius sp. in the mountains and forests after heavy rains or near water sources. I found a 4"-5" gorgeous red-brown millipede in Lytle Creek crossing a path, and then some small platydesmids/polydesmids/polyxenids/I-am-really-not-sure-but-they-were-cool-looking millipedes under a large rotting stump sort of thing. You really just got to go where there is water, and they should be there.
Where specifically are you planning on searching?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Ok cool I’ll have to look for spots like that. I’m not sure when I’m going to go but I hope it’ll be soon