1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Millipedes in Southern California?

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by sloth, May 11, 2019.

1. sloth

sloth Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Are there millipedes in Southern California? If so what type of area do they prefer? Thanks

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Yes, there are lots of different millipede species that can be found in SoCal. Millipedes need moisture to survive, so you're more likely to find them in the mountain/wooded/coastal regions where it's just a bit more moist. I have also found some of the big Spirobolida in the more desert/chaparral areas around Redlands/Riverside/Moreno Valley - but usually only in the spring, after a rain.

3. sloth

sloth Arachnoknight

Thank you so much. I had a feeling you probably would be able to find some but I just didn’t know where to look.

4. AceXprt

AceXprt Arachnopeon

YES! Ive found a large species in the San Gabriel Mountain Bridge to Nowhere Trail. They are mostly found under rocks and in piles of moist leaves.

5. sloth

sloth Arachnoknight

Thanks!

6. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

You can find some large Atopetholus sp. in the desert after heavy rains, and then Tylobolus sp. and Hiltonius sp. in the mountains and forests after heavy rains or near water sources. I found a 4"-5" gorgeous red-brown millipede in Lytle Creek crossing a path, and then some small platydesmids/polydesmids/polyxenids/I-am-really-not-sure-but-they-were-cool-looking millipedes under a large rotting stump sort of thing. You really just got to go where there is water, and they should be there.
    Where specifically are you planning on searching?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

7. squidkid

squidkid Arachnoknight

they like eucalyptus logs

8. sloth

sloth Arachnoknight

Ok cool I’ll have to look for spots like that. I’m not sure when I’m going to go but I hope it’ll be soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.