millipedes, hard to breed?

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
gday, i'm just wondering are millipedes hard to breed, there is a large species native to aust i would like to have a crack at breeding.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a funny feeling that unless you closely match all natural conditions you may end up with nothing more than a headache.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of people have success breeding AGB millipedes when they closely mimic the conditions of their habitat. If you do the same with your Aussie 'pedes, it shouldn't be a big problem.

On a side note, I've had millipedes for two years with no success. :( But that's just me. ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i kept about 10 little local species in a jar that i constantly dumped vegetable matter (flowers, leaves, etc) into. the millis steadily converted it to millidirt and eventually most, if not all, of the species reproduced. some of the babies were unbelievably small.

so... it *can* be really easy. one thing that is absolutely critical is to figure out how you are going to keep detritivores in a container that will let you NOT CHANGE THE SUBSTRATE FOR YEARS at a time! they lay eggs in the sub and the eggs take a while to hatch.... then the early instar millis are tiny and weak and easily damaged... so you pretty much can't replace the sub. if you do you either have to go through it with a magnifying glass or you will lose eggs and young. even the young from AGB are pretty freakin tiny in the beginning

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As with most inverts, it all depends on luck. I have somewhere around five or six adults kept on cocobark with rotting wood and leaves but I've yet to see any mating.

Of course, I only see one or two daily so I could very well be missing it.

No sign of babies yet.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
It's a good idea to change out the substrate completely at least once a year. Correct new substrate stimulates breeding. Most only breed once a year so it's easy to miss the window.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As with most inverts, it all depends on luck. I have somewhere around five or six adults kept on cocobark with rotting wood and leaves but I've yet to see any mating.

Of course, I only see one or two daily so I could very well be missing it.

No sign of babies yet.
mine r on peat with leaves and rotting hickory and mate like its spring break...

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mine r on peat with leaves and rotting hickory and mate like its spring break...

Narceus americanus, IIRC...I'm talking AGBs. I don't know if the fact they're different species has any bearing on success.

My setup is similar...except cocobark, wood and oak leaves.

Of course, I'll be picking up some narceus sometime soon. Before the end of the summer.

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Narceus americanus, IIRC...I'm talking AGBs. I don't know if the fact they're different species has any bearing on success.

My setup is similar...except cocobark, wood and oak leaves.

Of course, I'll be picking up some narceus sometime soon. Before the end of the summer.
MY AGBs are breeding like its spring break with free unlimited amounts of ecstasy