Millipedes And Lemurs - An Unlikely Combination

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I love millipedes. I love lemurs. And oh boy is it interesting when they intersect. Honestly not sure what forum this belongs in.
These discoveries are a few years old but after diligent searching, I couldn't find a thread dedicated to them so figured I'd start one here, since after all, Malagasy millipedes play a staring role. I think everyone whose ever kept millipedes is familiar with their defensive secretions which contain (among many other interesting things) trace amounts of cyanide. Turns out, they also make a great insecticide, parasitic protector (and killer), and come with some pleasurable side effects. At least for Black Lemurs and Red-Fronted Lemurs...
Can't recommend this video and paper highly enough (PARTICULARLY the video :rofl: ). Honestly one of the strangest ecological relationships I have come across recently.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...int_action_against_gastrointestinal_parasites

Also to add to the interesting factor, I believe (could be wrong about this though) that the millipede featured in the video is an Aphistogoniulus species.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I love millipedes. I love lemurs. And oh boy is it interesting when they intersect. Honestly not sure what forum this belongs in.
These discoveries are a few years old but after diligent searching, I couldn't find a thread dedicated to them so figured I'd start one here, since after all, Malagasy millipedes play a staring role. I think everyone whose ever kept millipedes is familiar with their defensive secretions which contain (among many other interesting things) trace amounts of cyanide. Turns out, they also make a great insecticide, parasitic protector (and killer), and come with some pleasurable side effects. At least for Black Lemurs and Red-Fronted Lemurs...
Can't recommend this video and paper highly enough (PARTICULARLY the video :rofl: ). Honestly one of the strangest ecological relationships I have come across recently.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...int_action_against_gastrointestinal_parasites

Also to add to the interesting factor, I believe (could be wrong about this though) that the millipede featured in the video is an Aphistogoniulus species.
Oh man, don't get me started on nature docu weirdness.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Everybody's just looking to take the edge off.
Life sucks less without it.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
In a Florida zoo monkeys were reported to suck on Anadenobolus monilicornis to get a high from the defensive secretions. Lemurs use it more, hrmm, pragmatically perhaps?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
In a Florida zoo monkeys were reported to suck on Anadenobolus monilicornis to get a high from the defensive secretions. Lemurs use it more, hrmm, pragmatically perhaps?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Somehow missed that one...fantastic :rofl: :rofl: