Millipede

MsFlutterby

Arachnopeon
Hi! I am new to learning about millipedes, my daughter is completely infatuated with millipedes and so excited to get some for a pet (she loves all "bugs" really.. except spiders she's scared of for some reason). She really wants a yellow smokey oak (Narceus Gordanus), but I am reading that they are pretty shy and often spend a lot of time hiding in the substrate. We have substrate coming soon and are plan on setting up a container before we order any millipedes. So here's my questions: Are there other millipedes that would be okay to go in the same container with the Narceus Gordanus? Or should we stick to only having only one type in a container? What is a good number to start out with? Are there any that would be more recommended or are there any you do not recommend for kids? We are not planning on getting any of the desert variety at this time. Thank you!

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Chicobolus spinigerus FL ivory are often found in the same areas as N. Gordanus. They are surface active and come in a variety of color variations.

As for the # to start with, that is going to depend on the size of your bin. Are you looking to breed them?

MsFlutterby

Arachnopeon
We aren't looking to breed them at the moment. I wouldn't be sad about having babies but mostly we just want them as pets.

MsFlutterby

Arachnopeon
Chicobolus spinigerus FL ivory are often found in the same areas as N. Gordanus. They are surface active and come in a variety of color variations.

As for the # to start with, that is going to depend on the size of your bin. Are you looking to breed them?
Would the Anadenobolus monilicornis (Bumblebee Millipede) be able to live in the same container with these other two?? We don't know the size of our bin yet for sure. We are still trying to decide what kind we want to get. I'm thinking it will partially depend on how many we end up getting. We are only thinking of having a handful to start with. Maybe 5 all together? What would be a good size container for them? I have a feeling we'll have a hard time not getting another set up after we get used to having them. But for now we're trying to not go too crazy right from the start.

MsFlutterby

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your information! For now we have two Ivory Millipedes and a very happy little girl. One of them has hidden but the other we've seen out eating a couple times now. Such interesting little creatures. We ended up with two girls. :D

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Would the Anadenobolus monilicornis (Bumblebee Millipede) be able to live in the same container with these other two?? We don't know the size of our bin yet for sure. We are still trying to decide what kind we want to get. I'm thinking it will partially depend on how many we end up getting. We are only thinking of having a handful to start with. Maybe 5 all together? What would be a good size container for them? I have a feeling we'll have a hard time not getting another set up after we get used to having them. But for now we're trying to not go too crazy right from the start.
All of those species can live together just fine. Enclosures that provide 2-3 body lengths of the largest species you want in every direction (except depth, just 1 body length is sufficient then) are appropriate for a small group of millipedes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts