Millipede substrate?

corwin3180

Arachnopeon
I currently use Peat moss as substrate for my AGB millipede. I've noticed after about 2 weeks its starting to stink. Im just wondering how often the substrate should be changed or cleaned? if cleaned, what is the easiest way? and if there are special techniques to help avoid odor? I am also open to a change in substrate if anyone knows of any alternative that is more odor absorbant or that the millipedes enjoy more. Any information would be appreciated Thanks!!!

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Try four to six inches of coconut coir (eco-earth, bed-a-beast, etc.) mixed with a couple of handfuls of aspen bedding. As the aspen rots it'll help provide the needed decaying wood the millipedes feed on. Add some shredded oak leaves to the surface and rotten oak wood if possible.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of food are you feeding it? I dont know why it would smell, especially that quick. I have never had a smell problem with my pedes.

I use as a substrate potting soil, a small amount of peat moss, and a good deal of crushed leaves, all mixed up. I wonder if the smell is just food remnants rotting that were not cleaned up?

corwin3180

Arachnopeon
I actually think that some left over lettuce might play a big part in the odor, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Whay kind of lettuce? Iceberg has a bad smell when it rots and shouldn't be used as food anyway. Iceberg has no nutritional value at all. I only feed Romaine lettuce, it's more expensive but more nutritionally complete.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also think iceberg lettuce is not so hot.
I personally use stuff like cucumber, zucchini and apple slices and they seem to work fine.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
With millipedes, I was told once never to change the substrate because you risk throwing out eggs and pedelings. The female takes a bit of substrate into the anus, extracts the water and forms a "cocoon" around each egg. It is therefore difficult to separate the eggs from the substrate. My colony has been going for months with the only odor being decaying leaves and damp coconut coir.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people say theirs love it -- I've never offered mine any. Though, some say theirs love cucumber, and mine ignore it. :) Give it a shot.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really should try tomato some time. I was always worried they were bad for millis for some reason, I guess because they are, well, tomatoes.:? Actually I thought they were a bit acidic or something.

Do you use regular tomato or the little cherry type? Not sure if that really makes a difference though.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you use regular tomato or the little cherry type? Not sure if that really makes a difference though.
Guessing by flavor difference alone, I'd guess the cherries are more "concentrated." Possibly more nutrients per tomato? :?

Kennef

Arachnopeon
Try four to six inches of coconut coir (eco-earth, bed-a-beast, etc.) mixed with a couple of handfuls of aspen bedding. As the aspen rots it'll help provide the needed decaying wood the millipedes feed on. Add some shredded oak leaves to the surface and rotten oak wood if possible.
What brand of aspen?