Millipede Substrate Options

Rimba

Arachnopeon
I know this is close to being a repeat of several other threads, but I'd like to collect some opinions on the pre-made substrate options there are out there.

Me and my AGB are going to be moving houses, and I was planning on taking the opportunity to completely clean out her tank and replace the substrate in order to put some distance between her and some mites/fungus gnats.
Until now I've been buying substrate from bugsincyberspace, and my milli has always seemed very happy with her environment, but they're out of stock at the moment. This has led me to look at a few different options.

The big three I've come across are:
Josh's Frogs Milli Mix (10 Quarts, $24.99)
Lugarti's Premium Millipede and Isopod Substrate (8 Quarts, $14.99)

And of course,
BugsInCyberspace Millipede Substrate (10" x 7" x 4.75, $19)

Does anyone have any experience with the first two, or suggestions for another mix?
Like I said, I only have good things to say about BugsInCyberspace's substrate. I'm hesitant to try a different product, but they do look like they'd be good options. I would make my own substrate, but I only have the one millipede, and I'm afraid most of what I would make would just be left sitting around. I also live in the city and I don't trust much of what I find on the ground around here with so much water running off the highway.

Any thoughts?

Rimba

Arachnopeon
I did also notice that the Lugarti's mix doesn't have any mention of a calcium supplement. I haven't contacted them to make sure, but I would consider mixing in my own if I decide to go that route.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
So, I have no experience with either of these pre-made substrates (BIC's stuff is great though), but both substrates seem good; lots of leaves, rotting wood, and a sufficient base soil are generally what makes for a good substrate.
The "trace minerals" in Josh's Frogs substrate is kinda funny because millipedes have no need of them; they eat rotting wood, leaves, fungus, and detritus in the wild, all of which can be found or replaced with supplemental foods in the average millipede tank. The "extremely fine sand and clay" in Lugarti's substrate is also not necessary, though so long as it is in the proper concentrations it is not harmful.
You could also make your own as you pointed out (good recipe here); just buy some leaves and rotting wood, figure out what recipe you want to go with, mix it all up, moisten, bam. You decide how much you make.

Hopefully some other's with experience using these substrates will chime in soon.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Rimba

Arachnopeon
So, I have no experience with either of these pre-made substrates (BIC's stuff is great though), but both substrates seem good; lots of leaves, rotting wood, and a sufficient base soil are generally what makes for a good substrate.
The "trace minerals" in Josh's Frogs substrate is kinda funny because millipedes have no need of them; they eat rotting wood, leaves, fungus, and detritus in the wild, all of which can be found or replaced with supplemental foods in the average millipede tank. The "extremely fine sand and clay" in Lugarti's substrate is also not necessary, though so long as it is in the proper concentrations it is not harmful.
You could also make your own as you pointed out (good recipe here); just buy some leaves and rotting wood, figure out what recipe you want to go with, mix it all up, moisten, bam. You decide how much you make.

Hopefully some other's with experience using these substrates will chime in soon.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts
Thanks for the thoughts!
I'm down in Texas, and I unfortunately can't seem to find a place to buy trustworthy organic leaf compost—even online. I also have no idea where I would get rotting wood. There's a greenbelt I take walks in from time to time, and while there's a good supply of rotting wood, I just can't help but hear the highway looming above me. Maybe I'm being a little too careful, but I just don't feel comfortable picking up wood to give to my millipede when there's a Cheetos bag 20 feet to the left.

I would really prefer to make my own, but it may have to wait until I move out of this city. I might have to stick with the more expensive options until then.