Millipede Substrate Blend

rift

Arachnopeon
✩ ° 。⋆ Hello! I am planning on getting a millipede in the near future (I do not know which exactly yet, but I am considering C. splendidus and T. macropygus), and I wanted to know if the substrate blend I had in mind was acceptable. For the non-edible substrate, I am planning on using Zoo Med creature soil; this will take up maybe 30% of the substrate. For the other 70% edible substrate, I want to use this substrate mix from Jungle Bob and dry oak leaves. I am also planning on implementing a calcium supplement from Josh's Frogs into the substrate, but I'm wondering how much I should include. Thank you! ⊹˚. ♡

p.s. the words written in
blue are links <3

hamfist

Arachnosquire
The Zoomed creature soil seems unnecessary - its just filler, and offers nothing new. The Jungle Bob substrate mix seems to have the basis of most of what you need. However, my motto is ALWAYS add more leaf litter (ideally rotting) and rotten wood. Commercial substrate makers never add enough. I can understand why they don't, because it would make their product uncompetitively priced to do so. the extra calcium is also a good idea.

rift

Arachnopeon
The Zoomed creature soil seems unnecessary - its just filler, and offers nothing new. The Jungle Bob substrate mix seems to have the basis of most of what you need. However, my motto is ALWAYS add more leaf litter (ideally rotting) and rotten wood. Commercial substrate makers never add enough. I can understand why they don't, because it would make their product uncompetitively priced to do so. the extra calcium is also a good idea.
Thank you! I am definitely thinking of adding more rotting wood to the mixture :)

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
unfortunately the Zoo Med creature soil is inadequate for millipedes, I recommend you don‘t use it at all like the other user did.
Having almost a third of the substrate compromised of useless volume is not going to benefit your millipedes.

You can use the Jungle Bob mix, but I would use it as max 30% in volume. The other 70% should be a mixture of decaying leaves and decaying wood.

Best for the millipedes would be to use a mixture of FlakeSoil, decaying leaves/fermented leaves and decaying wood.

Dry oak leaflitter is rather undigestable for millipedes, I suggest you only use it on top of the substrate, it takes months in the substrate to decompose into a state where it’s edible.
Fermenting it does only take a few weeks.
Then it’s a great food source.

One last thing: please don’t just get one of a species, always several as millipedes generally are communal and you should breed especially these two species.

Best regards