Millipede size

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
What other millipedes are similar in size or a bit smaller than an African giant millipede?

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
Olive giant millipedes --Spirostreptus brachycerus are a little shorter than the gigas but can be hard to find. Long millies than can exceed 6 inches would be orthoporus ornatus --Sonoran desert millipedes. They're longish but skinny. Those are the two largest that I'm aware of.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Olive giant millipedes --Spirostreptus brachycerus are a little shorter than the gigas but can be hard to find.
Olive giant millipedes are not Spirostreptus brachycerus. S. brachycerus only get about 3-4 inches and are called Tanzanian red earthworm millipedes (something like that). Olive giant millipedes are Telodeinopus aoutii if I'm not mistaken.

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
That's what I get for trusting google and not reading the entry. Lol. Thank you for the correction! Pulling out my Orin book, the olive he describes is plethocrossus sp. Any idea of the difference? I'm still trying to learn all these names. :)

Marika

Arachnoangel
Spirostreptidae sp 6
Spirostreptidae sp 8
Spirostreptidae sp 9
Colossobolus giganteus
Ophistreptus guineensis
Acladocricus sp
Salpidobolus sp 2
Salpidobolus sp 3
Thyropygus sp 1, sp 2, sp 4
Thyropygus ligulus
Harpagophoridae sp 1

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
That's what I get for trusting google and not reading the entry. Lol. Thank you for the correction! Pulling out my Orin book, the olive he describes is plethocrossus sp. Any idea of the difference? I'm still trying to learn all these names. :)
No idea lol.
Spirostreptidae sp 6
Spirostreptidae sp 8
Spirostreptidae sp 9
Colossobolus giganteus
Ophistreptus guineensis
Acladocricus sp
Salpidobolus sp 2
Salpidobolus sp 3
Sadly, almost none of those species are available here in the U.S., and if they are, they are on par with A. gigas when it comes to price.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I bought Telodeinopus aoutii a few months ago. Ordered 4, but one arrived dead. They were named "African Giant Olive", I think. I have also seen them called Stripe Legged. I think they are arboreal. They are growing pretty fast and fairly active for babies. Their leg stripes are just starting to show. I am sure they will become one of my favorites as they grow. They are 3"+ right now and not sure if they are male or female. I am pretty happy with them. We should try to use Latin names for this reason. Less confusion.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Spirostreptidae sp 6
Spirostreptidae sp 8
Spirostreptidae sp 9
Colossobolus giganteus
Ophistreptus guineensis
Acladocricus sp
Salpidobolus sp 2
Salpidobolus sp 3
Thyropygus sp 1, sp 2, sp 4
Thyropygus ligulus
Harpagophoridae sp 1
I have the Acladocricus and the Telodeinopus aoutii; I think those will get near the size of A gigas. Oh, Marika! You are so fortunate to have available those wonderful species!

truecreature

Arachnoknight
There's the Mardonius parilis acuticonus, but I'm not sure if they're still called that anymore. Still difficult to find, I've been keeping an eye out since I lost a couple of my males

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
I bought Telodeinopus aoutii a few months ago. Ordered 4, but one arrived dead. They were named "African Giant Olive", I think. I have also seen them called Stripe Legged. I think they are arboreal. They are growing pretty fast and fairly active for babies. Their leg stripes are just starting to show. I am sure they will become one of my favorites as they grow. They are 3"+ right now and not sure if they are male or female. I am pretty happy with them. We should try to use Latin names for this reason. Less confusion.
Where did you find yours? I found mine on ebay

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Where did you find yours? I found mine on ebay
Cape Cod Roaches. I got the last ones and he wasn't sure when/ if he might get more. I've watched his list weekly for anything new and haven't seen anything. These odd species are certainly random. I've never shopped for millies on eBay. I'll have to watch that!