Millipede size and keeping different species together?

AmyLou22

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I am looking into getting some millipedes and I am trying to figure out which varieties I could house together. Specifically, does anyone know the size of Spirotreptida sp. sunset or silver and how it compares to that of bumblebee or ivory millipedes? I was looking at the Telodeinopus assiniensis (calico) variety too but they are from a different region so I am not sure if they could be housed with either of the others I mentioned either? Any advice or If anyone has any pictures those would be very welcome too!

nouthound

Arachnopeon
You have such a variety available in the UK, I'm jealous! Probably not super helpful, but here's a youtube video of a bumblebee next to an ivory: I tried to link it at the right time, it's 11 minutes 31 seconds if I did it incorrectly, lol. The seller you're thinking of purchasing from should have size descriptions though, right?

(Also, I am absolutely not an expert, so don't take my anecdote as a good source lol, but when I kept millipedes of different sizes together, it was the little ones who bothered the big one, oddly enough! They would climb on her and she would walk quickly away like "ugh".)

I hope you have fun millipede shopping!

edit: fixing the link, oops

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Most any round millipedes (spirobolids, spirostreptids, julids, etc.) can be kept safely together so long as their care requirements can be provided adequately, regardless of origin.

S. sp. "Silver" and "Sunset" are brand-spanking new to the hobby. There is quite literally zero information on them, though I suspect they get larger than both A. monilicornis and C. spinigerus. If you do end up acquiring some, please, please, please buy multiples so that you can attempt captive breeding. I am expectant that if good breeders don't get their hands on them soon they will vanish like so many other species before them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts