millipede nutrition question...

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've read on a care sheet by a breeder that A. gigas does well on pelleted foods in addition to fresh fruit... like chicken feed, cat food, turtle food, etc. as a protein\calcium\vitamin supplement i imagine that they would probably grow faster with these extra nutrients rather than on just fruit or veggies...what do you guys think?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found can o' locousts or any of the cooked canned insects added to the millipedes diet..will add to their nutrition. I don't know if I'd trust cat and dog food for millis.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I found can o' locousts or any of the cooked canned insects added to the millipedes diet..will add to their nutrition. I don't know if I'd trust cat and dog food for millis.
The above advice seems to be the exact opposite of what it should be. Have you had any success breeding or rearing AGBs?

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use chicken laying mash and the millipedes really love it. Make sure it's a mixture that doesn't include fungicides or insecticides (I use Purina Layena SunFresh) Change it often as it molds easily. As for growth rate increases, I've always used it so I don't have a comparison.
As far as dog food I've used it, but prefer the chicken mash. The mash has both protein and calcium for chicken egg development.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The above advice seems to be the exact opposite of what it should be. Have you had any success breeding or rearing AGBs?
I had a great deal of success with my millipedes breeding molting and doing well, they ate the insects with vigor. I did this because they not only always ate their molts, but also any dead tankmates... I would still have hundreds but I did not realize you could not house them together with other species for very long as their defensive fluids are, I believe toxic to other milli species. I should have hads them all in seperate enclosures.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
... I would still have hundreds but I did not realize you could not house them together with other species for very long as their defensive fluids are, I believe toxic to other milli species.
I have kept various species together and due to massive reproduction kept some in unfortunate mass quantity without the problem you describe. The problem would have to have been another husbandry issue. Maybe all the dead crickets?

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I've heard that tortoise pellets are suitable for millipedes, but I've never tried it. Mine seem to do fine with fruits/veggies.