Millipede Licensing in Wisconsin

CecilPede

Arachnopeon
Hello Guys,

Well, my old millipede Cecil looks like he is dying. He has been laying on his side and feeling his legs for the past few days. He has eaten and such, and been a little active, but I think the end is approaching.

I called a few pet stores to see about purchasing a millipede, and they said they don't sell them anymore because it is no longer legal for them to do so. They said it is related to the recent USDA ban on millipede imports.

I was just wondering what kind of licenses are needed to purchase and own a millipede in Wisconsin. I can get some specimens from people online and scientific stores, but the scientific stores have said I will need to obtain the appropriate licenses before they sell specimens to me.

Anthony

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Only certain species are banned from importation but one can still own them. What species are you looking for? I am sure you can get what you want through the Classified section.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They can not import millies from overseas. You can still buy/have domestic species. They may not be interested in dealing with them though.

I would look for N. americanus or some of the florida species in the classifieds.

Also, there are captive bred foreign species for sale there sometimes too, but they are getting more expensive due to the ban on imports. The classifieds here are a better place to get them than most pet stores anyway.

There is also a really good book on keeping them that I reviewed in the book review section. Good luck and have fun. :)

CecilPede

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. The specific creature I'm looking for is an Archispirostreptus Gigas.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks guys. The specific creature I'm looking for is an Archispirostreptus Gigas.
You will most likely have to buy it from one of the dealers here. I have seen it. Not often, but they are here. Oh, and you will most likely have to by slings and grow them out. Good luck, and have fun. :)

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
You can still buy/have domestic species.
+1

I actually purchased my first millipedes when I was living in WI (Florida Ivories). I had asked my LPS owner to see if he could get a hold of some A. gigas for me, but he gave me the same, vague answer. I never heard of a ban on any inverts in WI, but I also didn't know many people in the hobby up there, either.

Classifieds are definitely your best bet (for A. gigas), but be prepared to shell out some uber cash :D

EDIT: CecilPede, I just noticed you were from Milwaukee. You should check out the All Animal Expo (http://allanimalexpo.com/). It alternates between Wheaton, IL and Waukesha, WI; the next one in Waukesha is on the 22nd, I believe. I bet they'd have some cheap AGB's there. A friend of mine (my barber, actually), snagged a juvie AGB for me for less than $10. Who know? Maybe you can find a deal like that.

Last edited: