Millipede Import Permit into United States

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
What permit should I look to get for importing exotic millipedes into the US? Is there one?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
PPQ 526. See here for some more info, though this is by no means all there is to know.

Both myself and @The Mantis Menagerie have applied for permits to keep millipedes, though he was successful. My permits contained more species and one was to import exotic species, which triggered some questions about my "containment facility". Millipedes don't typically require a containment facility, but since I wanted to import species APHIS was worried about potential hitchhikers and such I think.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
I didn’t realize they were allowing any to be imported into the US. Were the interstate permits approved?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Insofar they aren't for the average enthusiast. We'll see how my applications pan out. They have approved permits to acquire them from sources within the US though from what I understand.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Insofar they aren't for the average enthusiast. We'll see how my applications pan out. They have approved permits to acquire them from sources within the US though from what I understand.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Are your applications being denied? Maybe they are still wary of direct imports of millipedes. Did you receive an Applicant Inspection Questionnaire?
@Madnesssr, I have attached permits with the personal information redacted. This can show the type of permit conditions that must be followed for the permit to be granted.

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@The Mantis Menagerie, I haven't received any denial messages, just the Applicant Inspection Questionnaire. I filled two of those out (one for the intrastate permit and another for the importation permit) and am waiting to hear back. Considering they wanted to hear all about my "containment facility" however, it'll have to be a miracle if I get the permits.

I'm also exceedingly worried about them doing what they did with my isopod permit (they cut it down from 64 species/genera to 19 species, 16 of which I can collect within the US already, and only gave me a permit for intrastate movement, no imports) with the millipede permits, meaning I will lose the ability to keep species I may already have in exchange for closer scrutiny on my collection. In essence, a loss-loss.

Just hoping and praying that that won't happen.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
@The Mantis Menagerie, I haven't received any denial messages, just the Applicant Inspection Questionnaire. I filled two of those out (one for the intrastate permit and another for the importation permit) and am waiting to hear back. Considering they wanted to hear all about my "containment facility" however, it'll have to be a miracle if I get the permits.

I'm also exceedingly worried about them doing what they did with my isopod permit (they cut it down from 64 species/genera to 19 species, 16 of which I can collect within the US already, and only gave me a permit for intrastate movement, no imports) with the millipede permits, meaning I will lose the ability to keep species I may already have in exchange for closer scrutiny on my collection. In essence, a loss-loss.

Just hoping and praying that that won't happen.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Does that mean you will have to get rid of your millipedes if the permit is denied?! :sad:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Does that mean you will have to get rid of your millipedes if the permit is denied?! :sad:
Well, that is a bit tenuous. I would say both yes, if they decide to come and inspect my other creatures and find me with exotic millipedes they may confiscate them, and no, because they have insofar shown no qualms about species already in the US and have very little practical reason to confiscate them.
However, since the hobby over here is in such a gray area legally (I need to make a thread about this...), it can be difficult to read the vibes of the government and determine what is morally the right thing to do. The law is on the books, but then again should it even be on the books in the first place? Why are they not enforcing it if it is on the books? Should I be worried when prominent sellers offer exotic species without any government interference? And so on.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
Well, that is a bit tenuous. I would say both yes, if they decide to come and inspect my other creatures and find me with exotic millipedes they may confiscate them, and no, because they have insofar shown no qualms about species already in the US and have very little practical reason to confiscate them.
However, since the hobby over here is in such a gray area legally (I need to make a thread about this...), it can be difficult to read the vibes of the government and determine what is morally the right thing to do. The law is on the books, but then again should it even be on the books in the first place? Why are they not enforcing it if it is on the books? Should I be worried when prominent sellers offer exotic species without any government interference? And so on.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
From what I've heard the whole system over there sounds awfully confusing and inconsistent, I hope you are able to sort things out and get a good result. :) It is great that you are trying to do the right thing even when the guidance is unclear. You'd think at the very least the people in charge should make it clear what is and isn't legal, how do they expect people to obey laws if they don't understand what they are?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@AuroraLights, well, if we read the law as it is (at least to my understanding), no exotic millipedes (and many other creatures besides) are allowed to be kept by anyone not possessing the proper permits (PPQ 526 and others). It's been that way since 2006.

However, in practice, this has not been followed, and the USDA/APHIS has not done really anything about it. Online vendors prominently sell specimens online, while breeders share their stock at government-scrutinized reptile shows. Even on here, I'm sure you've seen people offering millipedes for sale. I have heard of no enforcement on this front. The one area that they have put their foot down is with imports, and if you get caught brown-boxing you could end up losing your collection.

These sort of mixed-messages makes it hard to know what to do. Millipedes probably shouldn't even be regulated the way they are as it is, instead having been caught up in a blanket ban, adding another level of "grayness" to the issue.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
@AuroraLights, well, if we read the law as it is (at least to my understanding), no exotic millipedes (and many other creatures besides) are allowed to be kept by anyone not possessing the proper permits (PPQ 526 and others). It's been that way since 2006.

However, in practice, this has not been followed, and the USDA/APHIS has not done really anything about it. Online vendors prominently sell specimens online, while breeders share their stock at government-scrutinized reptile shows. Even on here, I'm sure you've seen people offering millipedes for sale. I have heard of no enforcement on this front. The one area that they have put their foot down is with imports, and if you get caught brown-boxing you could end up losing your collection.

These sort of mixed-messages makes it hard to know what to do. Millipedes probably shouldn't even be regulated the way they are as it is, instead having been caught up in a blanket ban, adding another level of "grayness" to the issue.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
The Plant Protection Act does not seem to be applicable to millipedes, but it is still the justification for their regulation.

I have seen exotic phasmids for sale at these supposedly government-scrutinized shows!
only gave me a permit for intrastate movement, no imports) with the millipede permits, meaning I will lose the ability to keep species I may already have in exchange for closer scrutiny on my collection. In essence, a loss-loss.
If you have interstate movement, then you can work with a museum to import through their supplier and then purchase your specimens after an interstate movement. Most museums use interstate permits instead of doing importation.