Millipede ID help please

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Something in the family Xystodesmida, beyond that, I have no clue. It seems immature, so once it gets older you may have better luck getting an ID, though Xystodesmids are pretty hard to rear, and need cool temps with a substrate made pretty much completely out of rotten wood to survive in captivity.

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Something in the family Xystodesmida, beyond that, I have no clue. It seems immature, so once it gets older you may have better luck getting an ID, though Xystodesmids are pretty hard to rear, and need cool temps with a substrate made pretty much completely out of rotten wood to survive in captivity.
I let it go. I am definitely not ready for millipedes. They seem so delicate.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Agreed, definitely a Xystdesmid. I took a look on BugGuide to see what species are commonly found in Ohio. It is most likely Apheloria virginiensis corrugata but could also be Pleuroloma flavipes, Semionellus placidus or a species of Nannaria.

Xystodesmids do require cooler temperatures. I think they may require leaves from particular tree species rather than exclusively decayed wood (which other Polydesmids do indeed thrive on). I have successfully kept several species for several months in a wine cooler set to 65F with wood substrate and oak leaves and have observed mating but have yet to see any offspring.

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Thank you, I tried to look on bugguide but had a hard time knowing what to look for between the different species.

We found it to be a very interesting looking millipede.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thank you, I tried to look on bugguide but had a hard time knowing what to look for between the different species.

We found it to be a very interesting looking millipede.
It is tricky with so many species looking similar even as adults! :confused: But definitely a cool millipede! :happy: