Millipede Help

ari

Arachnopeon
I think my florida ivory millipede is ill, he's very lethargic, moving slowly (a LOT slower than usually) and although there's no discoloration I know something's wrong with him. I did not read up on millipedes molting, so when I found his supposidly dead sister yesterday, I tossed her in the trash. I'm anxious that she might have just been molting, but I don't want to go dumpster diving unless I know for sure. (don't worry, just a bag in my room with a few papers.) She was greyish in color, very hard, but not moving at all. Her legs were facing towards her inner body and her head pointed down. If I can remember correctly, a part of her was slightly limp. I'm pretty positive she was dead, but I still am incredibly anxious that she was just molting!

If I could get some answers on if my first millipede is ill or just molting, and if his long lost lady pede was actually dead or I might have just committed murder, I'd be incredibly thankful! I've never had millipedes and I've had those two for about 5 months.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
How old are the millipedes? Did they seem to stop feeding? What are their living conditions like?

If the one you assumed was dead was somewhat limp it may have been moulting. Pics might help

ari

Arachnopeon
How old are the millipedes? Did they seem to stop feeding? What are their living conditions like?
I don't know their exact age, but I've had them for about three months. I didn't monitor feeding much because they ate the moss and substrate. It's a glass terrarium with moss, wood, substrate, and a jade plant.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
What kind of moss and what does the substrate consist of? It sounds like the dead one was definitely dead. Probably should take it outside lest it smells. If one died and one is lethargic, I would worry about the set up.

ari

Arachnopeon
What kind of moss and what does the substrate consist of? It sounds like the dead one was definitely dead. Probably should take it outside lest it smells. If one died and one is lethargic, I would worry about the set up.
I'm not sure about the moss, it's some I got for amphibians at the local pet store. The substrate is 'biodegraded/decomposed' stuff used for plants, I checked up on it and it's not sprayed with pesticides, and is what I've been using in the past three months. (I'll find more details tomorrow, those are off the tip of my head) I moved the millipede to a smaller container with just the subtrate and food so I can get a better look at him. I'm thinking it could be what they were eating ? I was just relying on the moss and flooring, I'm going to add variety to see if that'll help, I put in a banana and cucumber for the little dude and he doesn't seem interested. Since I've moved him, he's been moving around a bit more, but still very very slowly :(

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure about the moss, it's some I got for amphibians at the local pet store. The substrate is 'biodegraded/decomposed' stuff used for plants, I checked up on it and it's not sprayed with pesticides, and is what I've been using in the past three months. (I'll find more details tomorrow, those are off the tip of my head) I moved the millipede to a smaller container with just the subtrate and food so I can get a better look at him. I'm thinking it could be what they were eating ? I was just relying on the moss and flooring, I'm going to add variety to see if that'll help, I put in a banana and cucumber for the little dude and he doesn't seem interested. Since I've moved him, he's been moving around a bit more, but still very very slowly :(
If it worked for three months and they didn't die then it's definitley not pesticides. If it had pesticides the millipedes would be dead in a few days at most

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Millipedes usually burrow into the substrate to molt. It's possible this is the result of malnutrition. The substrate should have decomposing wood and decomposing hardwood leaves mixed in for them to eat, especially if you're relying on the substrate to feed them. Check out Cavedweller's care sheet at the top of the myriapod forums. It's a good one. Maybe it'll give you some insight as to what went wrong.