Millipede has prolapse

serenitypsykitten

Arachnopeon
My Arizona Brown millipede appears to have had a prolapse. He is laying tightly coiled, only moving when touched. I've given him fresh water and food, as well as cleaned his little bottom using coconut oil (to moistuize/act as a very mild antimicrobial. Shouldn't hurt him if he eats it.)
Is there anything else I can do to help him? Right now I'm just trying to keep him comfortable and I feel like a bad Mama :(

Attachments

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I've never seen this in a millipede so I can't respond specifically. In mammals, the prolapsed part is cleaned and gently pushed back inside the animal. I think you are doing what you can, but I would guess this is more serious in invertebrates. Good luck and keep us posted.

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
How humid and moist are you keeping the enclosure? If looks like it's laying on moss so I'm wondering if your setup isn't too wet for an Arizona millipede. They like it much drier than most millipedes. It may not be a prolapse, but an attempt to regulate its moisture content.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I lost a male Dendrostreptus macracanthus to almost the same thing, don't think you can do anything about it, I tried everything to save him and in the end failed. the loss really sucked being it was such a pretty rare millipede.