Millipede fungus cure

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I remember reading about the fuzzy fungus people were seeing on the first several segments of their millipedes. I had never seen it before and didn't expect to, but then two of the millis were almost running, looked like something was bothering them. I saw that fungus! It was on their front legs, maybe the first 4 or 5 segments, don't know for sure. It was growing on their antennae also, especially toward the ends. Spikey looking, kind of white colored stuff. I have some stuff for athletes foot which has a general anti-fungal, Undecylenic Acid, in it. If that fungus was going to kill the millis, I thought I might as well try the anti-fungal. I put one drop on the segments right behind the head at the base of the legs on each millipede, that was about a week ago. They didn't like it of course and spent some time cleaning the area, as they were cleaning it was a good thing because I could see they were spreading it. It looked like they were using some of their own fluid to make it more wet in the area. This was about a week ago and they are all healthy again, there is no sign of the fungus and are eating just fine. If it happens again, I will take a before and after pic because I know there will be skepticism about it. There is some alcohol in it but it evaporates pretty fast. Also, it didn't kill the mites either. So if you think that stuff is going to kill your millis, might as well use this or something like it, maybe less strength/potent. It worked! It smells strong btw. I forgot to add that this is a millipede that had the fungus, as you can see, it's gone now, can't see anything like it there anyway.

Last edited:

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is that a symbiotic mite in the pic? how did you get it? I have AGBs without them

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A pet store here wanted to breed them but they didn't have time for it, or just didn't want to mess with it. So they let me take them home, hoping that something would happen over here but, no milli plings so far. As I said before, I'm suspicious of the pillbugs eating milli eggs but I just don't know. Yeah that's the native sym mite there.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
My male AGB millipede has the fungus, and I'm super concerned about it. I'm not quite sure what to use on him. A book I have says a .01% solution of clotrimazole might just possibly cure the pede but mentions weeks of swabbing. I also have a flameleg pede the seems to have the very back few segments frozen (they don't mechanically move) from a fungus. I've gotten the fungus off the exoskeleton or so I think, also doing some scrapeing, but still the segments remain frozen.

One more thing. My AGB millipede has these white-like fleshy pads coming out of his legs. I don't know if that's normal...looks like a pathogen could burst out of them...maybe they are adhesive pads for mating, but they extend most of the way down his body. Maybe this pede is just really messed up...but I guess they show up in other pictures of male millipedes such as this one:

---------- Post added 05-20-2012 at 06:14 PM ----------

I obtained the anti-fungal medication you described, and applied it to my millipede. I tried taking photos, but he would not stay still, and the fungus is only on a few of the foremost legs, not visible from a spiral, so I'd have to get a direct shot of his underside. I could have put him against the glass, I guess, but I did not think about it.

Anyway, I applied the medication, and the millipede did not like it at all as you were saying. It also produced its own fluid, spreading the medication further on its underside. It's in the shock/cleaning process right now. Hopefully--if all goes well--I will have the same results you mentioned :D

I've read other posts saying swabbing can be detrimental, and yes, it is probably stressful, but there's no other way! Fingers crossed ;)

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The "fleshy things" you speak of are it's gonopods or sex organs, and yes they air them out and clean them like that time to time...

SDCPs

Arachnolord
The "fleshy things" you speak of are it's gonopods or sex organs, and yes they air them out and clean them like that time to time...
I'm not referring to the gonopods, the picture I found (not mine) shows the pads. I'll try to find another.

Please ignore the arrow pointing to the gonopod gap. Instead, focus on the pads on the ends of the legs:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never seen that before, t looks natural to me though. It may be male feature, maybe something to do with the male being able to catch and hold on to the milli chicks lol, hmm, maybe I should get some of those. btw as I mentioned concerning the fungus issue that stuff worked over here perfectly. I looked up the active ingredient, it's not exactly organic imo but pretty close to it.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I've never seen that before, t looks natural to me though. It may be male feature, maybe something to do with the male being able to catch and hold on to the milli chicks lol, hmm, maybe I should get some of those. btw as I mentioned concerning the fungus issue that stuff worked over here perfectly. I looked up the active ingredient, it's not exactly organic imo but pretty close to it.
He's still alive! I'll wait a few days before taking a peek at the fungus.

Last edited:

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Going on the second treatment because there's still some left. He's not taking it so well :(

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Third treatment, and I released him in the cage. The fungus is not around the sexual organs. It is by the very first two pairs of legs now, right where they join. My hypothesis is the fungus can hang on there because of the fluid the pedes excrete, and the constant cleaning of that area after medication application disperses the medication and lets the fungus survive. Otherwise it's all gone! So with third treatment ( almost 4 weeks of quarantine) I've released him after holding him for 45 minutes keeping him from cleaning and making him spit all that fluid on my fingers. Don't know if it will help. I figure the isopods in the cage will get whatever's left after medication. I could always treat him again too. Just wanted to get him back in the cage.

EbonyKatana1664

Arachnosquire
They will make a movie about this thread and your determination to keep the pedes alive. Kudos to you sir.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, Galapoheros. I just bought this and put it on my female AGB. She is infected. I am hoping it works. Can you add anything to this thread (that has not been already stated) for those of use with millipedes that are infected? Was yours OK? I am hoping the anti-fungal solution does not kill her.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The ones I had seemed fine afterward. They made chambers and hung out in there, but they finally all died, I don't think it had to do with the treatment. But what I would have done diff is some dilution of the anti-fungal. I'm thinking half strength would prob work, just guessing. My speculation about not getting babies has to do with too many isopods, ...stress.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The ones I had seemed fine afterward. They made chambers and hung out in there, but they finally all died, I don't think it had to do with the treatment. But what I would have done diff is some dilution of the anti-fungal. I'm thinking half strength would prob work, just guessing. My speculation about not getting babies has to do with too many isopods, ...stress.
Thanks. I tried it and in 24 hours the fungus was not visible. Good idea. I will apply it at half strength. Yes, I eliminated all of the terrestrial isopods from my A. gigas enclosure too.

Thoughts from a guy that has bred a lot of millipedes over the years: I have been trying to breed this species for years without success. I think it is a shot in the dark. I have all the books and have always (for years) provided the optimal environment. I have had great breeding success with these same environments with many other species. I have also tried all of the current cues to get the females to lay eggs. I have been at it for over 8 years. I have 4 females and 1 male left. 1 of my males died 6 months ago. This is my last attempt. If these do not reproduce, I will not be buying anymore. I often consider how hard it is to get these to reproduce and the common belief that they have not been imported into the U.S. since 2006 but then I see large numbers of near adults and adults for sale. Mature adults take years to reach this level. Something does not add up...

...Unless someone is illegally importing and supplying WC A. gigas to sellers. Now THAT would make sense. :biggrin:

Last edited:

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Is this a fungus only found on A. gigas or can this happen on any millipede?

Good luck Crackerpants

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is this a fungus only found on A. gigas or can this happen on any millipede?

Good luck Crackerpants
Good question. Orin's book states that it common with this species and one other ( I can't remember which). Thanks. : )

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: The A. gigas I treated is still alive and doing well. She has not redeveloped any type of fungal infection. Final Conclusion: The treatment worked well for my A. gigas millipede and she did not die.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's great to hear, I'll definitely have to keep that treatment in mind if I ever need it.