Millipede communal tank molting?

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
All right, so I'm planning to keep my current millipede with several others that I ordered a few days ago, but I don't understand how they can molt without getting messed up by other millipedes trying to step on them or tunnel next to them. Do they have an instinct to leave the others alone? How has this worked for you?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
All right, so I'm planning to keep my current millipede with several others that I ordered a few days ago, but I don't understand how they can molt without getting messed up by other millipedes trying to step on them or tunnel next to them. Do they have an instinct to leave the others alone? How has this worked for you?
I believe that they avoid one anothers' molting chambers -- I do not believe I have ever had a millipede disturbed in molting by another millipede and I have >200 growing and those regularly molting pedelings in one box! A few things to keep in mind:
1) Do not have any heavy objects such as rocks or logs in the enclosure as millipedes may build their molting chambers under such objects for "safety" and meanwhile, their cage-mates also burrow under the object until it falls and crushes molting chambers and millipedes.
2) Do not have long sticks or other such objects buried in the substrate. I discovered this from personal experience. :( It may seem to be in a safe place, but it is all to easy to inadvertently move one end and cause the other end to fatally injure a molting millipede.

What millipedes have you found and would like to keep together? This often works well but some do have different requirements which may or may not be able to be met in the same enclosure.

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
I believe that they avoid one anothers' molting chambers -- I do not believe I have ever had a millipede disturbed in molting by another millipede and I have >200 growing and those regularly molting pedelings in one box! A few things to keep in mind:
1) Do not have any heavy objects such as rocks or logs in the enclosure as millipedes may build their molting chambers under such objects for "safety" and meanwhile, their cage-mates also burrow under the object until it falls and crushes molting chambers and millipedes.
2) Do not have long sticks or other such objects buried in the substrate. I discovered this from personal experience. :( It may seem to be in a safe place, but it is all to easy to inadvertently move one end and cause the other end to fatally injure a molting millipede.

What millipedes have you found and would like to keep together? This often works well but some do have different requirements which may or may not be able to be met in the same enclosure.
1) Really? I currently have an oak log from Bugs in Cyberspace in there, I'll take it out ASAP.

I currently have an N. gordanus and plan to add Trigioniaulus corallinus (at some point), and will soon receive N. americanus, A. monilicornis, C. spinigerus, and Tylobolus uncigerus to the enclosure.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
1) Really? I currently have an oak log from Bugs in Cyberspace in there, I'll take it out ASAP.

I currently have an N. gordanus and plan to add Trigioniaulus corallinus (at some point), and will soon receive N. americanus, A. monilicornis, C. spinigerus, and Tylobolus uncigerus to the enclosure.
1) That half log? How solid/heavy is it? That might be okay since it's "footprint" is more spread out.

2) Those can all coexist without problems. How large is your enclosure?

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
1) That half log? How solid/heavy is it? That might be okay since it's "footprint" is more spread out.

2) Those can all coexist without problems. How large is your enclosure?
1) It's actually the full log listed on the Millipede Substrate page. Its diameter is about 2.5 inches and its length is 6-7 inches. I have no idea how much it weighs, but I'd estimate around 2 pounds.

2) Medium Kritter Keeper with about 2 inches of millipede substrate also from BiC. I have freezer paper over a lot of the ventilation slots to allow for more humidity.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
1) It's actually the full log listed on the Millipede Substrate page. Its diameter is about 2.5 inches and its length is 6-7 inches. I have no idea how much it weighs, but I'd estimate around 2 pounds.

2) Medium Kritter Keeper with about 2 inches of millipede substrate also from BiC. I have freezer paper over a lot of the ventilation slots to allow for more humidity.
1) Hmm, if it is lightweight rotted/decayed wood it should be fine -- the millipedes will enjoy eating and burrowing into it. If it is hard and solid however, I would take it out. Some may disagree but I've had fatal molting injuries from bumping a long piece of wood that was mostly buried and from pouring water onto substrate with burrowed millipedes. :(

You could also have the log wedged at an angle in the enclosure if the dimensions will allow, so long as it cannot fall not the base shift.

2) What are the dimensions in inches or centimeters? Based on the size of the log, it may be alright, although I would definitely deepen the substrate as this week effectively increase the living area for the millipedes -- most of which like to burrow.

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
1) Hmm, if it is lightweight rotted/decayed wood it should be fine -- the millipedes will enjoy eating and burrowing into it. If it is hard and solid however, I would take it out. Some may disagree but I've had fatal molting injuries from bumping a long piece of wood that was mostly buried and from pouring water onto substrate with burrowed millipedes. :(

You could also have the log wedged at an angle in the enclosure if the dimensions will allow, so long as it cannot fall not the base shift.

2) What are the dimensions in inches or centimeters? Based on the size of the log, it may be alright, although I would definitely deepen the substrate as this week effectively increase the living area for the millipedes -- most of which like to burrow.
Hm, I don't have any more substrate left, but I'll add some dirt, cocofiber, and leaves to it in order to increase it.
The Kritter Keeper is about 11 inches by 7 inches by 4 inches, based on my unmeasured estimate.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Hm, I don't have any more substrate left, but I'll add some dirt, cocofiber, and leaves to it in order to increase it.
The Kritter Keeper is about 11 inches by 7 inches by 4 inches, based on my unmeasured estimate.
Another 1/2 to 1" should be good. :)