Millipede Collection, 3skulls

3skulls

Arachnobaron
I did some work in the snake room over the weekend. I got some new herpstats in and have the temps running good now.
They pedes are in the cooler part of the "L" and on the lowest level.

My bumblebees are loving cucumber :)
I'll have to get an apple soon.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Update.
Looked in on all the millipedes tonight.

Found tons of babies in my Euryurus tank. They seem to be doing really well!

I lost one of my Flamelegs :( maybe 2.
Found one complete dead one and then I found one that was hollow. Could it be a molt by chance? Can't find any legs on it and it doesn't look split.

The other ones still look healthy as far as I can tell. They are making lots of poo.

I just sprayed them by the way.

The bumblebees weren't really out so I didn't get any pics.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoa that's a lot of babies! You'll have to keep us filled in on how fast they grow.

Aww mystery deaths suck. I just lost a thai rainbow that way. Good luck with the others.

theSNAKElady

Arachnopeon
Oh Hell yes!
All 3 in one day.

View attachment 114038
That book in the middle, I want it :p And you have a nice collection of Millipedes goin on Rich! I miss my African Giant blacks. They were sooo cool. I had a gorgeous Vietnamese rainbow too once. Always wanted a couple of the giant pill millipedes, but after finding out how short lived and fragile they are I decided to pass.

Ps...I didn't know Millipedes molted.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Hey hey! Welcome to AB!! :)

I'm finding out taking care of millipedes is harder than I thought.
With losing 3 so quick, I'm not sure if they were stressed, doomed before I got them or if I'm doing something wrong.
Another Flameleg looked odd when I looked in on them before work today.

We will see.

Yes the T book is great. Lots of info.
The author is an active member here as well.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm finding out taking care of millipedes is harder than I thought.
With losing 3 so quick, I'm not sure if they were stressed, doomed before I got them or if I'm doing something wrong.
Another Flameleg looked odd when I looked in on them before work today. We will see.
The adult flamelegs do not live very long. I lost all of my adults quickly but then had babies showed up. If you had an adult male and female you may have eggs in the substrate. I would maintain the humidity, food and surface dead leaf structure instead of discarding or reusing the substrate. Just a thought...

Last edited:

3skulls

Arachnobaron
I have 6 that I know of left.

I'm hoping they'll get to make some babies :D

3skulls

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure if they are considered adults yet.
At what size do they become sexually mature? Mine are right around 2.5"

Males get to around 4" and females 5" ?

Edit***
I did lose the one that was looking strange the other morning. I now have 6 (for sure) left.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure if they are considered adults yet.
At what size do they become sexually mature? Mine are right around 2.5"

Males get to around 4" and females 5" ?
Good question. I do not know. 2.5" does not sound sexually mature. Were the ones that died all about that size?

SDCPs

Arachnolord
You know,

Its weird. The same is happening over here. I've lost 20-30 in the past month mostly. I switched them over to different substrate. I also lost all my adults around this time last year. I need a few more years under my belt to see if there is a seasonal die-off (which I doubt). It could be those millipedes were doing poorly over here...but you ordered from me before I started noticing dead pedes. Millipedes supposedly take a bit to die so...I know I found 3 dead in the new enclosure I set up a week ago but everything looks stable so far there...I think those were already doomed when I transferred them in.

Very nice photo! I tried to tell people awhile back about how red the rings on these can be and not sure if most people belived me.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
I hate to hear that but I'm glad its not just me.
It's been discouraging and has me thinking I'm not good with millipedes.

I'll keep a closer eye on what's left and keep this updated on how they are doing.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I have many more than you have but yes keep me updated. If you do lose more and want to replace them I will cut a good deal in your favor because I'm sure the substrate I had my pedes on (I was trying someone else's substrate recipe) did contributed to all these deaths.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I just had a shipment of 19, 3/4", expensive millipedes arrive dead and dying from a reputable dealer and they sent them express mail. I know you sent a photo of one of them with shipping damage, that is probably the first dead one you found. Seems your deaths could have been shipping related and had nothing to do with the bad substrate. Or conversely it could be a mix of the two. I know I only sent seemingly healthy animals.

How are the rest of them doing?

3skulls

Arachnobaron
The one with the sore is still alive :)
Saw him 2 days ago.
The rest seem to be doing well. I ha to add more leaves and they love cucumber.

I also used a temp gun on them. The room is 77*
They sit on a bottom self in a cooler part of the room. Inside their tub was about 75-76