Millipede/Centipede species in the New England area?

Jp1776

Arachnopeon
I was just wondering if anyone knows what millipedes and/or centipede species are around the New England area? I want to catch some local speices but I have no idea what some of the local species are.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I'm sure you'll get some help here but in the meantime simply try a google search.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Narceus americanus/annularis complex millipedes are by far the largest millipedes in New England. They have a very spotty distribution but are abundant in some patches of old growth hardwood forest. If you want specific locales you can PM me.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I was just wondering if anyone knows what millipedes and/or centipede species are around the New England area? I want to catch some local speices but I have no idea what some of the local species are.
I took a look through a database I've been compiling of North American millipedes and it appears there are relatively few in the northeast -- perhaps because winters are harsher than in the northwest? As @Salmonsaladsandwich mentioned, the range of Narceus annularis extends north through New England. Besides a few small species of millipede, you might also find Apheloria virginiensis corrugata. They have a fairly large range but I imagine that their habitat will be rather specific and so you may have to hunt a while before finding them.

I would be very interested in seeing any millipedes that you do find! :snaphappy: