Millipede burns, "likehotoil"

lammergeier

Arachnopeon
During one survey in the forest one millipede got its way in my pants while i was asleep, and accidentally spooked it maybe, woke up with a sensation of like a hot oil was poured in my leg. Im just documenting it with picture..
Apparently the culprit is a Acladocricus sp. Also known as philippine giant blue millipede..

<edit>

Thanks

It happened on june 12
I already washed it immediately as i realized and felt it
I took picture about 5hrs after
Burning sensation doesnt wearoff, i can compare it with being burned by a hot motorcycle engine. And every time i move my leg the pain is worsen

received_1625036311005956.jpeg

June 13
The affected part is still in pain same as yesterday, it darken, now all of the skin that came in contact is turning reddish-brown to black

received_314727196193488.jpeg

June 14,
The affected site is still darkening, ang becoming more prominent, few small raised parts are appearing,
The pain became moderate, now it just feel like hot water is poured, but pain become more intense when touched,
And also the affected area is more hot compared with my whole body temp

received_274430273755584.jpeg

June 15
The small diffused raised parts appeared on the main affected area, the color of the area is more darker than yesterday, also the area is more softer to touch,
The pain finally subdued, i can still pain on the site but also with numbness,

received_576463473263626.jpeg received_1886644708137355.jpeg received_292701128529681.jpeg received_288927272304134.jpeg

June 16,
Skin felt like leathery in appearance, upon touching, you can feel a fluid is present apparently between the inner and outer epidermis.
Pain finally gone, exept when something comes in contact with the wound

IMG_20200616_134303.jpg IMG_20200616_134315.jpg

June 17
The outer epidermis broke, and serous looking fluids is observed, Skin in some parts have dried and seems being detached, the skin under it, is so sensitive, moke like the skin on 1st or 2nd degree burns, i havent manually detached the deadskin, cause most of the parts are still painfull and it feels like a wound will be likely to be inflicted

IMG_20200617_113941.jpg IMG_20200617_113929.jpg IMG_20200617_113932.jpg IMG_20200617_113936.jpg

June 18,
Skin on affect site feels like plastic, more areas are becoming dried,
Pain is not significant anymore, but still present, specially on the parts that are still "wet"

IMG_20200618_192723.jpg IMG_20200618_192712.jpg IMG_20200618_192707.jpg IMG_20200618_192645.jpg

June 19
Skin is almost dry, but skin on the most affected parts is now attached again with the internal epidermis, probably beacayse the skin is still "fresh", skin underneath it is pink, and dry, seems to be like the one u see on, chemical burns

IMG_20200619_162219.jpg IMG_20200619_162224.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
That is very impressive but usually the chemical burns are very minor and with most species there is no pain felt, especially on the thick skin of the hand where it is usually experienced. I can imagine how getting a wild adult of that large species caught in your pants overnight could cause those burns.

lammergeier

Arachnopeon
That is very impressive but usually the chemical burns are very minor and with most species there is no pain felt, especially on the thick skin of the hand where it is usually experienced. I can imagine how getting a wild adult of that large species caught in your pants overnight could cause those burns.
Ohw yeah, i guessed i underestimated millipedes,, im just greatfull that the millipede just got on my knee level, if he got far from that would be a different story,

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
Wow, you poor thing! I've never heard of millipede burns that bad before. I hope you recover quickly. Did you see the millipede that did it?
In case anyone's interested I found the Pherobase entry for the Acladocricus genus: https://pherobase.org/database/genus/genus-Acladocricus.php
It lists all the chemicals that have been confirmed from a member of that genus, but there are many species that have not been tested so it isn't an exhaustive list. I'm not a chemist so I don't know if any of those chemicals cause burns like that, but maybe someone else could find out.

Tidbit

Arachnosquire
During one survey in the forest one millipede got its way in my pants while i was asleep, and accidentally spooked it maybe, woke up with a sensation of like a hot oil was poured in my leg. Im just documenting it with picture..
Apparently the culprit is a Acladocricus sp. Also known as philippine giant blue millipede..

<edit>

Thanks

It happened on june 12
I already washed it immediately as i realized and felt it
I took picture about 5hrs after
Burning sensation doesnt wearoff, i can compare it with being burned by a hot motorcycle engine. And every time i move my leg the pain is worsen

View attachment 349550

June 13
The affected part is still in pain same as yesterday, it darken, now all of the skin that came in contact is turning reddish-brown to black

View attachment 349551

June 14,
The affected site is still darkening, ang becoming more prominent, few small raised parts are appearing,
The pain became moderate, now it just feel like hot water is poured, but pain become more intense when touched,
And also the affected area is more hot compared with my whole body temp

View attachment 349552

June 15
The small diffused raised parts appeared on the main affected area, the color of the area is more darker than yesterday, also the area is more softer to touch,
The pain finally subdued, i can still pain on the site but also with numbness,

View attachment 349553 View attachment 349554 View attachment 349555 View attachment 349556

June 16,
Skin felt like leathery in appearance, upon touching, you can feel a fluid is present apparently between the inner and outer epidermis.
Pain finally gone, exept when something comes in contact with the wound

View attachment 349557 View attachment 349558

June 17
The outer epidermis broke, and serous looking fluids is observed, Skin in some parts have dried and seems being detached, the skin under it, is so sensitive, moke like the skin on 1st or 2nd degree burns, i havent manually detached the deadskin, cause most of the parts are still painfull and it feels like a wound will be likely to be inflicted

View attachment 349559 View attachment 349560 View attachment 349561 View attachment 349562

June 18,
Skin on affect site feels like plastic, more areas are becoming dried,
Pain is not significant anymore, but still present, specially on the parts that are still "wet"

View attachment 349563 View attachment 349564 View attachment 349565 View attachment 349566

June 19
Skin is almost dry, but skin on the most affected parts is now attached again with the internal epidermis, probably beacayse the skin is still "fresh", skin underneath it is pink, and dry, seems to be like the one u see on, chemical burns

View attachment 349569 View attachment 349570
That’s terrible, I’m sorry to hear that happened 😔

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Mind=Blown.

This is good documentation for future reference...wow...

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Dude, you are very unlucky yet very lucky at the same time. I'd imagine it was a few slithers away from this occurring on a very important external organ that could have possibly caused a lot more than just superficial burns and pain. 😬

Great read. Thanks for posting!

lammergeier

Arachnopeon
Wow, you poor thing! I've never heard of millipede burns that bad before. I hope you recover quickly. Did you see the millipede that did it?
In case anyone's interested I found the Pherobase entry for the Acladocricus genus: https://pherobase.org/database/genus/genus-Acladocricus.php
It lists all the chemicals that have been confirmed from a member of that genus, but there are many species that have not been tested so it isn't an exhaustive list. I'm not a chemist so I don't know if any of those chemicals cause burns like that, but maybe someone else could find out.
Yah, it was a huge 7inch Acladocricus sp. philippine giant blue.. But havent took any photos

Dude, you are very unlucky yet very lucky at the same time. I'd imagine it was a few slithers away from this occurring on a very important external organ that could have possibly caused a lot more than just superficial burns and pain. 😬

Great read. Thanks for posting!
Oh yes, if that had happened not only my skin is burned but also my morale 🤣, now i am always tying my panys tightly to my shoe so that it wont happen again,,

T Castaneus

Arachnopeon
That looks genuinely painful, but it makes me wonder what species of millipede it was.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like you mentioned it was Acladocricus sp. philippine. Youch.