Millipede ate a live slug

Marika

Arachnoangel
So, I noticed that some of my millipedes are bloodthirsty :D. A few days ago I saw both a Spirobolus walkeri female and a Dendrostreptus macracanthus male trying to eat a slug (the same one). The slug managed to escape and seemed to be unharmed. Last night I saw that the D. macracanthus male had caught the slug, was holding it by its head and eating it, the rest of its body hanging in the air. While I was trying to get a photo, he dropped the slug, it appeared to be dead. A moment later a Chicobolus spinigerus pedeling was feasting on its carcass.

Poor slug :sorry:

(I don't bake the leaves so that's why I have tiny native millipedes, isopods, small snails and slugs etc. in my enclosures.)

JesseF

Arachnopeon
I've heard of deer eating animals they find dead, and since anything animal is a good source of protein and tons of other nutrients, I can see how an easy meal might be too good to resist. Pretty crazy sounding!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've heard of deer eating animals they find dead, and since anything animal is a good source of protein and tons of other nutrients, I can see how an easy meal might be too good to resist. Pretty crazy sounding!
100% agree. Animals don't label themselves as vegetarian or carnivorous. If an animal can find some use out of something they find then it's all good.

Of course in perspective. A dog finding chocolate or a parrot finding avocado is bad.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I hope it wasn't one of your beautiful slugs.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many organisms will take advantage of all sorts of food items if given the opportunity. Deer not only feed on carrion, but they've been documented snatching live baby birds out of nests that were within their reach. Slugs not only feed on carrion if given the opportunity, but many species will actively go after living earthworms.

I've fed my millipedes with cockroaches and moth pupae a few times for a bit of protein. Scavengers and detrivores are particularly opportunistic and will take advantage of not only carrion, but incapacitated or live, slow-moving prey.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
That's hardcore.

Didn't know millipedes would eat something alive.
That's pretty awesome.
I wonder if my millis have ever eaten something more alive rather than dead.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Awesome. I learn something new everyday. I've read somewhere that they will feast on other dead millipedes. Maybe their natural instinct is to eat what their bodies may need at the time.