Millipede adventures

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Took the plunge with pedes recently and just wanted to share some photos!

Been rescuing some of these from a few jobsites i work on, unsure of species but they are quite large for my standards.

20200207_152903.jpg 20200207_152828.jpg

I have 4 of them at the moment and they are quite energetic.

I thought they were big until these unidentified monstrosities turned up.
20200212_115528.jpg
20200212_115751.jpg
20200212_142348.jpg
20200212_142421.jpg

Size comparison between the 2 species
20200212_123815.jpg

Thats all lol, im really enjoying them so far

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Whoa! @RezonantVoid keeps millipedes now? I never thought I'd see the day ;)...

Also, to be brutally honest, I think this is the one time I'm cool with not being able to get Aussie species :rofl:. Very nice millipedes irregardless; the red feet on the first one and the grey sheen on the second are quite beautiful. Are you keeping both species together?
Where did the larger species come from?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Whoa! @RezonantVoid keeps millipedes now? I never thought I'd see the day ;)...

Also, to be brutally honest, I think this is the one time I'm cool with not being able to get Aussie species :rofl:. Very nice millipedes irregardless; the red feet on the first one and the grey sheen on the second are quite beautiful. Are you keeping both species together?
Where did the larger species come from?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
No they are seperate at the moment. Unfortunately one of the giant ones died the night i got them but i have no clue as to the cause since the other 2 are happy and bumbling around. I believe they come from north Queensland

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Nice one mate, they are decent sized for sure. My daughter has some pedes and a giant slater (isopod) and I'm slowly warming up to the idea. I like the wave rhythm of the legs when they walk.
That biggest one you have is an absolute thumper, thanks for sharing.

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
No they are seperate at the moment. Unfortunately one of the giant ones died the night i got them but i have no clue as to the cause since the other 2 are happy and bumbling around. I believe they come from north Queensland
Sometimes they die the day you get them or within a week or two after you get them because the change is so stressful to them and some millipedes can be quite delicate and have difficulty adapting to a new environment...they will especially fail to thrive if your substrate lacks nutrition. Make sure you have a good soil mix with lots of decayed wood and leaves and mosses for variety and don’t keep them purely on cocofibre as it’s a death sentence. It pulls the moisture out of millipedes and even impacts them, specifically the young. I learned the hard way never to use it and I will never be convinced it’s a good Long-term substrate for millipedes ever. If you would like to know my soil mixture I am always happy to share.

I wouldn’t ever keep the wild ones you found with the big ones you bought especially if they’re captive bred because the wild ones could pass on some nasty pests or parasites that could wipe them out. For this reason, it’s always better to keep them in separate enclosures unless they’re all captive bred raised in the same substrate then I don’t see a problem keeping them all communal. In fact I keep my captive bred species communally as well too!

😊