Millipede acting strange after being handled, shaking her head

millipedebastard

Arachnopeon
I have recently got a giant millipede, possibly a wild-caught adult thyropygus sp. She looks healthy and is actively exploring her enclosure, burrowing, and nibbled on a small piece of apple. However, multiple times when I touched her she begins to shake her head and sort of tucks her head a lil bit underneath her, untucks, curls halfway, uncurls, and looks as if she is struggling by twisting her front body around. She would also walk backwards while doing this. She however does not excrete. She then will return back to normal after about 30 seconds or so. She does not curl up into a whole ball. She is my first millipede and I am inexperienced.

Her substrate consists of mostly flake soil, some peat moss, spaghnum moss and dried out catappa leaves with a large rotting oak log, and a small pinch of reptile calcium powder. Could she be ill? Or is it a normal part of their defense mechanism?

I attached a video for reference. This was moments after she climbed onto my hand a bit before backing away and did this instead for about 30 seconds. This happened a few times.
View attachment 20221231_004214.mp4

Last edited:

Isopods others

Arachnoknight
Could be a- shaking off mites - heard of this also
B- threatened-I've seen this in very small millipedes
C -another reason I haven't thought of

millipedebastard

Arachnopeon
Could be a- shaking off mites - heard of this also
She does have some mites but only a few and they appear to be the harmless kind of mites. I'll try look at her closer to see if she has more I missed.

Strange... did you have soap on your hands or any detergent?
U may be right considering that I wash my hands before handling my millipede. I did rinse and wipe them properly but I suppose perhaps there were still remnants. I'll make sure to avoid this next time I try to handle her and I'll see how she reacts.

hamfist

Arachnosquire
I suspect it is part of its normal defensive behavioural pattern. The good news is that in my experience, the large majority of millipedes do get used to handling and fuss from owners within days/weeks, if introduced relatively gently.

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
I recently had an Ivory Millipede hang upside and shake it's body for a prolonged amount of time. Now it's back to normal. Maybe I did the same thing to mine.

ouroboross

Arachnosquire
I recently had an Ivory Millipede hang upside and shake it's body for a prolonged amount of time. Now it's back to normal. Maybe I did the same thing to mine.
like the other guy was saying, its probably soap or some other substance you used for cleaning your hands

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
like the other guy was saying, its probably soap or some other substance you used for cleaning your hands
I agree. But I've also noticed my Ivory's being very animated at times grooming legs and brushing off their bodies with their heads, twisting around vigorously. I have three different localities and it seems to be common. They go weeks without being handled so it shouldn't be an adverse reaction.

yaih0550

Arachnopeon
i have an ivory that does this if she smells anything super fragrant or that she doesn't like. the first time she did it was when i picked her up after i washed my hands with soap, i think she was just trying to shake off the smell ^_^

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
I've been keeping millies for over 10 years, and the shaking is definitely something they do in defense. They're not the scariest critters when it comes to scaring off a potential predator, but those shaking and undulating motions are a common response I've always gotten while I'm maintaining their enclosure, or just moving them by hand for whatever is needed. I agree with everyone who's stating not to worry, but do keep in mind that millies are known to release small amounts of noxious chemicals (hydrogen cyanide) when alarmed. The small amount released isn't deadly to humans, but can be quite irritating if gotten in the eyes, nose, or mouth, or kept on the skin for prolonged periods of time. Shaking millies are worried millies, so please do wash your hands after you've handled one that had the shivers. Best of luck as well as a first time millipede owner! They are delightful creatures that will reward you with intriguing tunnels and all sorts of goofy antics as they grow!