millies are dying..:(

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
After having a really rotten 2 weeks at work, with my maniacal boss..who makes me crazy with her childish temper tantrums, now this. My Desert Yellows are dying. At first, it was the slower moving one, now, the other 2 adults are moving slowly. I'm going to have to dig, to find the babies.
They are being kept on damp peat moss, with a shallow water dish. I had been feeding them cucumber/melon & grapes, with vitamin powder. Tonight, I'm switching to plain cucumbers...
*sigh*

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Try putting them on a sand/peat mix that isn't as damp, or not damp at all. Plus, furnish some bits of sphagnum moss (greenish kind) as well as a chunk or three of cork bark for them to hang out on. I find millipedes sometimes 'toxify' their enclosures with their excessive eating-defecating habits and need to be cleaned sometimes weekly or more, depending on the size of the enclosure...

This is not unlike saltwater fish and similar inverts that need water changes to minimize the ammonia and nitrate/nitrite levels that are produced by waste and waste byproducts.

bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
Thanks..:) They are doing better today. I misted the enclosure, and put some cucumber slices in there, making sure to bury some, for the babies. What exactly is it, in cucumbers? Is there some crucial nutrient for Millies? My AGB is about the same; shy, but alive.
The Desert Yellows are staying in a rubbermaid thingy, 2 feet long, 18 inchs wide, 12 inchs high. I'll put some of the green stuff in there. I bought it for the AGB. Btw, in the AGB enclosure, its peat with a healthy amount of the green moss. The AGB loves it! Can other speciaes be kept with AGB's? Or, is there a chance of cross breeding?
Bill, once again...thanks...
Gillian

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there a chance of cross breeding?
Bill, once again...thanks...
Gillian [/B]

Only if they are in the same genus

I dont know much about millis :(

invertepet is teh myropod man.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bob,
Thanks..:) At any rate...Bill does sell those bad-ass pieds..:D And, I rather like the idea of having a mixed species tank..Keeping in mind, I make sure all the species have similar or exact keeping conditions.
Peace,
Gillian

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
What exactly is it, in cucumbers? Is there some crucial nutrient for Millies?
Hi Gillian,

I'm not sure what's crucial for millipedes for sure but at any rate, cucumbers contain vitamin E, iodine, sulphur, chlorine, silicon, iron j, vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, sodium, protein, potassium and fiber, and a tiny bit of fat. So I imagine it could be any one or more of those the millipede needs.

Paul

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
iodine, sulphur, chlorine, folic acid

Sounds like things the pedes would need to make secretions.

Wait if im not mistaken folic acid is what they secrete?

err scratch that its hydrochloric acid.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
iodine, sulphur, chlorine, folic acid

Sounds like things the pedes would need to make secretions.

Wait if im not mistaken folic acid is what they secrete?

err scratch that its hydrochloric acid.
I'm not sure yet exactly what they excrete, but iodine is also what we humans use for hair, nails, etc. so perhaps the millis use it for their exoskeleton health?

Paul