milli molting question

ranticalion

Arachnopeon
One of my giant black pedes just molted and he's freakin' huge now, but I'm worried that he's not gonna be able to reharden his exoskeleton because my millies haven't had any oak leaves or rotting wood since I've gotten them. When I bought them I didn't take into consideration that oak leaves and rotting wood aren't the easiest thing to find in the middle of winter, and I wasn't really expecting the millies to molt so soon. So do you think he'll be ok or should I make an emergency trip to the forest preserve to try and find some stuff for them?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The leaves provide needed resources for growth but don't have anything to do with the exoskeleton hardening. If the shell seems really soft put the millipede in it's own small cage for a few weeks (hungry tankmates often chew on really newly molted individuals if they get moved from their molting cell too soon).

Kimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How can I know that millipede is going to molt? Any premolt signs? Is there any way of telling that something isn't right with milli, some signs like curling in tarantulas...one of my red-legged millis male died today, I don't know why but they are only 4-5 days with me, I think maybe of an old age, because they are WC probably. Any suggestions? He was about 4 inch long, so I assume he was mature and maybe too old.

Thanks!

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I don't know why but they are only 4-5 days with me, I think maybe of an old age, because they are WC probably.
If you only had him for a few days, he probably died from stress. When millis are imported, almost half or more will die within six months. I believe it is from stress.

Kimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ahh, didn't know that, but ofcourse stress always take some animals, WC penalities...

What are the other reasons for death?

And is there any signs like premoult on millipedes and how long it takwes to moult, can someone put some pictures of freshly molted.

Anyway thanks!

ranticalion

Arachnopeon
Before my milli molted, it turned very dull and greyish brown instead of it's usual shiny black. After it molted and I saw it wandering the cage again, it was light grey and very soft. It was about a week and some days between seeing it in premolt and seeing it wander the cage, so I really don't know how long it was in premolt or how long the molting took.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
It was about a week and some days between seeing it in premolt and seeing it wander the cage,
If he is wandering again, he is fine. Just don't pick him up until you are sure he/she is fully hard.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The leaves provide needed resources for growth but don't have anything to do with the exoskeleton hardening.
This is my understanding as well. However, I've seen several suggestions for leaving a source of calcium for the purpose developing a hard exoskeleton. I've seen calcium sand, cuttle bone, and chalk rock suggested.

I leave a small dish of calcium sand out for my Leopard Geckos, so I offer that to the millis as well. Seems like they do consume some of it.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another question! How long to AGB millis usually go between molts? I have a 6 inch male who who took a fall about a year and a half ago and the spoiled little thing is still in his own cage until he molts.

I figured I'd ask while the topic of molting millis came up.