Milking Scorpions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone milk (I am not sure if milk is the right word, but you get the idea) their scorpions and collect the venom?

Last edited:

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't but several people do for their own reasons. Usually you get your scorpion to sting through a membrane into some sort of cup.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think profesional places use a suction tube? (i know they to for myglamorphs) but i milked my H. arizonensis once out of curiosity, put some cling film(cling wrap?) over the top of a loooong plastic cup, he stung and delivered venom with no provocation apart from a tap on the back!

not alot of venom though, only 2 drops

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's very little point in the hobbyist collecting venom, it does not store easily and what would you do with it anyway.

Milking scorpions is pretty easy though, you can use electrostimulation if you want big yields but a vial with parafilm over the top works very well for the task.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As far as I'm aware people who do it for research use electrostimulation? I couldn't find any more info on it when I searched (and I don't recomend anybody else tries, when I searched I found something men do involving the prostate :embarrassed: :eek: :? :8o :eek: )

Edit: fusion beat me to it.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking of collecting a whole bunch and then for fun injecting it into a mouse and seeing what happens.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
electrostimulation has a drawback. The scorpion does not only release venom, but also excrements, dialuting the venom.....Like fusion said, why does one need scorpionvenom......

TheImperator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not exactly a bad idea. There is some guy who collects all types of spiders, milks them, and then sells the venom so it can be used as an Antivenom.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Not exactly a bad idea. There is some guy who collects all types of spiders, milks them, and then sells the venom so it can be used as an Antivenom.
If you wanted to start doing this you would need to provide enough to make it worthwhile to the purchaser. You would also have to do the collection under laboratory conditions and package it as your supplier wanted. Not a horrible idea, but hardly an endevour for the average hobbyist.

Cheers,
Dave

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Moderator's Note

In case anyone forgot, the topic at hand is "Milking Scorpions." Several posts have already been deleted. Please don't hesitate to use the "report a post" function at the bottom left of each post if you see a post that is way off-topic, inflammatory, etc.

@FrogmanJ - I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and think that you didn't know about any other ways of humanely killing mice. You might want to do some reading, as there are many good threads about humane ways of quickly and painlessly killing mice for the purpose of feeding and/or preserving.

Thanks,
Becca :)

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What are you telling me that you don't like the way that I kill mice? Like severing their spinal chord or smacking them down on the table head first while holding their tail is better. I have done them all, and the scientific method (which is used in labs by the way) is to sever the spinal chord. Well I have done that and I think that is disgusting. I use my method, because they are my mice, and because I have been doing it for years.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your definition of cruel seems to be variedon the amount of physical damage done to the rodent. Placinga live animal in the freezer seems to be a very out of sight out of mind approach to killing the animal, could you find it hard tope wih the killing of the mouse?
Where a mouse would sit in a freezer alive and kicking for quite some time snapping their necks/ co2 pump is over inless than a second with the animal dying painlessly. yes more brutal but Much better for the actual animal

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You sound indignant Frogman, yet it was you that suggested injecting mice with scorpion venom for "fun".

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First off, snapping a mouses neck is gross. Second, it doesnt get easier than using my bag in freezer method. And third yes I do think it would be fun to watch a mouse get injected with scorpion venom. Maybe my neighbours cat with black widow venom? Ha I hate that damn thing, anytime I leave my windows open it hops in my cars and pisses all over the seats. I already told them that if I catch it, its as good as dead. And in my books, feeding a snake an alive mouse is as cruel as it can get. The mouse basically gets digested alive. If you want to get that technical, feeding a scorpion a cricket and watching it get eaten alive is far more cruel. Are you saying that cruelty cannot come to insects and only rodents or what? 5 mins in the freezer and the mouse is dead.

Last edited:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well if your killing them this way because the humane way is gross is it not just easier to order prekilled animals

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
<edit>
and i would also just like to say i'm sure its illegal to kill mice in that manner when i think about it? i know it is on this side of the pond, can anyone in th US tell me about the governments standing on killing mammalian/avian food items?

Last edited by a moderator:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Last warning to please keep it on-topic. If the thread continues to spiral off-topic and into personal attacks, it will be closed.

Becca

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
<edit>

Yes, bagging and freezing mice that I breed for the sole purposes of feeding is way easier than ordering prekilled frozen mice. That is probably the reason why I breed my own!

I live in Canada. There are no animal cruelty laws. Pets are considered personal property. Right now there is a petition going on in Canada for stiffer laws against animal cruelty because some dude dragged his dog behind the truck until it was dead, and he only got a $500 fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
<edit>

Yes, bagging and freezing mice that I breed for the sole purposes of feeding is way easier than ordering prekilled frozen mice. That is probably the reason why I breed my own!

I live in Canada. There are no animal cruelty laws. Pets are considered personal property. Right now there is a petition going on in Canada for stiffer laws against animal cruelty because some dude dragged his dog behind the truck until it was dead, and he only got a $500 fine.
I live in canada, my father is an RCMP officer, and there ARE animal cruelty laws.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you can't "milk" a scorpion...no teets!

I milked a cat once...:rolleyes:

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.