Mid Tier Arboreal Enclosure

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I finally got around to assembling my bigger acrylic enclosure for my A. sp amazonica who needed a rehousing. I was very pleased with the way it turned out. I am definitely going to be ordering a few more of these for my arboreal Ts outgrowing their smaller setups.

Thanks to @sdsnybny for link to the corkbark sheets. I can't wait to rework the P.cam enclosure with them.

@viper69 Check it out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I finally got around to assembling my bigger acrylic enclosure for my A. sp amazonica who needed a rehousing. I was very pleased with the way it turned out. I am definitely going to be ordering a few more of these for my arboreal Ts outgrowing their smaller setups.

Thanks to @sdsnybny for link to the corkbark sheets. I can't wait to rework the P.cam enclosure with them.

@viper69 Check it out.

Link to the cork sheets, specific product number?

I like those lids, look like a bit deeper than typical AMAC FLAT lids I see in TCS, but much shallower than their deeper lids, maybe it's just the picture??

Link to those boxes? I want to compare the design specs.

Very nice indeed, certainly befitting of any Avic, esp a sp amazonica ;)

Funny you showed these, I was just looking at YouTube, saw a European do the same but for an ExoTerra, and thought, I should try the same for an AMAC. Was looking to source the cork however....

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

@viper69 Check it out.

Hmmm. You gave me ideas. Thanks Trenor!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Link to the cork sheets, specific product number?

I like those lids, look like a bit deeper than typical AMAC FLAT lids I see in TCS, but much shallower than their deeper lids, maybe it's just the picture??

Link to those boxes? I want to compare the design specs.

Very nice indeed, certainly befitting of any Avic, esp a sp amazonica ;)

Funny you showed these, I was just looking at YouTube, saw a European do the same but for an ExoTerra, and thought, I should try the same for an AMAC. Was looking to source the cork however....
The cork sheet (I got for the P.cam enclosure rework and didn't need all of it)

The lid is 1.5 inches tall so it is a decent size.

Link to boxes

The box size is 4x4x7 inches.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Trenor

Thanks for the link, Didn't realize it was herp product. Now if I only I could find a cheaper source for the same product heh.

Question for ya, amazon description reads the product is 1.9" thick. On your container there, do you have 2 or 1 layers? It looks like 2, but that would be almost 4", and in that pic it sure doesn't look like 4", esp w/that T and other things there for size estimation.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
@Trenor

Thanks for the link, Didn't realize it was herp product. Now if I only I could find a cheaper source for the same product heh.

Question for ya, amazon description reads the product is 1.9" thick. On your container there, do you have 2 or 1 layers? It looks like 2, but that would be almost 4", and in that pic it sure doesn't look like 4", esp w/that T and other things there for size estimation.
It'a 1.9" thick, the natural cork bark is laminated to cork tile, that's why it is two layers.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It'a 1.9" thick, the natural cork bark is laminated to cork tile, that's why it is two layers.
Danke!

That explains that! I'll have to take a look at my container inventory and see if I have any candidates that are permanent arboreals.

There's one other source I can think of for cork which may have this.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm lucky I have a store not to far from me.
Trenor there store locator shows two stores in NC
Charlotte
Raleigh
Yeah, that's a hour + drive for me. If I order several boxes then it wont be too bad. Just buying one or two is rough though.

Thanks I saw that one. They tend to have cheaper prices at times. I have a herp show coming up so I'm going to wait for sure, hopefully better price!
The show I was at a few weeks back had some but it was a lot thicker then I wanted.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Nothing to add other than saying that those look amazing. Great job, you should consider selling those. You know how difficult (apparently...) it is to set up a proper Avic enclosure for a lot of new hobbyists.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nothing to add other than saying that those look amazing. Great job, you should consider selling those. You know how difficult (apparently...) it is to set up a proper Avic enclosure for a lot of new hobbyists.
I would rather do up a how to on them. I dislike having to deal with the process of selling things. The ones on Jamie's site are similar and not badly priced for someone looking to get just a few arboreals. That was what I started with then made my own when I got more. :D

I did find out that my plain old drill bits drilled the plastic much better then the made for plastic bit I bought to do the job.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Now if I only I could find a cheaper source for the same product heh.
Keep in mind that a sheet like that could make at least 10 backdrops for this size enclosure with some scrap left over. So with free shipping 15 dollars for 12X18 is not a bad deal IMO.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Was it a Tap Plastics bit?
I don't remember the namebrand I bought it for the other enclosure build and while back. It was a lot of trouble so this time I just got out my nice but regular drill set and it just cut through with no melting or burs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't remember the namebrand I bought it for the other enclosure build and while back. It was a lot of trouble so this time I just got out my nice but regular drill set and it just cut through with no melting or burs.
I haven't had any probs drilling, but I think my bits are getting a bit dull, and had thought about Taps bits.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I haven't had any probs drilling, but I think my bits are getting a bit dull, and had thought about Taps bits.
According to my grandfather (a carpenter by trade), those are a luxury. They do work better, but they're unneeded. Their main feature is that they don't skate/dance across the surface of the acrylic... something that is solved immediately with either a drill press or a steady hand.