Mid Tier Arboreal Enclosure

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I think my bits are getting a bit dull
If you lived nearby and they are the regular bits I could sharpen them for you.

Tap Plastics bit
I thought you meant Taps as a name brand. No it didn't have the v tip that those bits had but it did have a sharper angle on the cutting face to prevent wandering. It seemed like even with no pressure I was melting the plastic rather then cutting it. Even with the new bit.

Their main feature is that they don't skate/dance across the surface of the acrylic... something that is solved immediately with either a drill press or a steady hand.
Or a sharp drill bit. A dull bit will walk all over the place. People like to drill too fast and will often burn up bits even when drilling wood.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I haven't had any probs drilling, but I think my bits are getting a bit dull, and had thought about Taps bits.
I'd still recommend the plastic bits. Regular high speed bits might work, but the way they work is completely different.

Metal/wood bits 'chip' away material where acrylic bits scrape it. That's why it's so much easier to get blowouts with acrylic using a regular bit.

As for the cork background, I had to pick some up from an exotic pet store when I was on vacation awhile back (their tarantula selection was sad though). It was easily 75% of the amazon price. It works very well for anchoring; I have it in my avic and regalis enclosures.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
According to my grandfather (a carpenter by trade), those are a luxury. They do work better, but they're unneeded. Their main feature is that they don't skate/dance across the surface of the acrylic... something that is solved immediately with either a drill press or a steady hand.
Oh def not, my own general bits work fine.

I have both. I'd just like to drill a bit faster that's all, and wondered if those Tap bits allow for that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd still recommend the plastic bits. Regular high speed bits might work, but the way they work is completely different.

Metal/wood bits 'chip' away material where acrylic bits scrape it. That's why it's so much easier to get blowouts with acrylic using a regular bit.

As for the cork background, I had to pick some up from an exotic pet store when I was on vacation awhile back (their tarantula selection was sad though). It was easily 75% of the amazon price. It works very well for anchoring; I have it in my avic and regalis enclosures.
This is true, they do work differently. Their geometry is different, the Tap bits are single fluted for example.

I did a slew of research on bits/drilling acrylic about a couple of years ago, there's a bunch of posts by me with a variety of knowledge from my research into this area, all under the Viv section.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you lived nearby and they are the regular bits I could sharpen them for you.
Man, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I don't live nearby. If I did, I'd have obtained a T tour and some fresh honey :cool:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here is the big enclosure I got the corkbark flat to rework. My P.cam girl was none too happy to get ran out of her cork round hide into a catch cup for the duration of the renovations. She went back in easily though.

I ended up with enough cork left over to do 3 or 4 more of the other enclosures like the one above.

I didn't glue the bark to the wall like I did for the above enclosure. I secured the bark to the walls with plastic coated wire so I could remove it to make a terrestrial enclosure should I choose to in the future.

Right before she dropped back into her hide.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here is the big enclosure I got the corkbark flat to rework. My P.cam girl was none too happy to get ran out of her cork round hide into a catch cup for the duration of the renovations. She went back in easily though.

I ended up with enough cork left over to do 3 or 4 more of the other enclosures like the one above.

I didn't glue the bark to the wall like I did for the above enclosure. I secured the bark to the walls with plastic coated wire so I could remove it to make a terrestrial enclosure should I choose to in the future.

Right before she dropped back into her hide.

Looks like a Jamie's container or did you make that?

LOVE the idea of wiring the cork, I will do that for mine because I never know what's going in them next. Great idea Trenor!!

How'd you line up the holes? Did you drill into the cork, and then score the acrylic? That's what I would do at least.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Looks like a Jamie's container or did you make that?

LOVE the idea of wiring the cork, I will do that for mine because I never know what's going in them next. Great idea Trenor!!

How'd you line up the holes? Did you drill into the cork, and then score the acrylic? That's what I would do at least.
It is a Jamie's enclosure I picked up a while back. They are very well made but I'll be making the new ones myself to try to save some money.

I have really been impressed with the ease those bits drill the acrylic. I drilled the holes in the back of the enclosure then turned it on it's side. Put in the bark and lined it up how I wanted. Then drilled through the enclosure holes into the wood while holding the wood in place. It worked really well.

The main reason I went those route is this enclosure can easily be used for a arboreal or a terrestrial setup so I didn't want to glue something that would make it one or the other permanently. The smaller one above really isn't suited for anything other the arboreal so gluing wasn't a big deal.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is a Jamie's enclosure I picked up a while back. They are very well made but I'll be making the new ones myself to try to save some money.

I have really been impressed with the ease those bits drill the acrylic. I drilled the holes in the back of the enclosure then turned it on it's side. Put in the bark and lined it up how I wanted. Then drilled through the enclosure holes into the wood while holding the wood in place. It worked really well.

The main reason I went those route is this enclosure can easily be used for a arboreal or a terrestrial setup so I didn't want to glue something that would make it one or the other permanently. The smaller one above really isn't suited for anything other the arboreal so gluing wasn't a big deal.
Yeah I've seen her containers before, I think they are well made. I've seen Lorex, not as good.

Which bits did you get? I may replace mine as I said earlier.

Oh, you did it the reverse of what I had thought, thanks for the info. Had you wired the cork up BEFORE drilling?

If you make your own, let me know how it goes. I haven't attempted that yet.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Very nice! What kind of glue did you use for the bark? I used silicon but the smell always seems to linger.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah I've seen her containers before, I think they are well made. I've seen Lorex, not as good.

Which bits did you get? I may replace mine as I said earlier.

Oh, you did it the reverse of what I had thought, thanks for the info. Had you wired the cork up BEFORE drilling?

If you make your own, let me know how it goes. I haven't attempted that yet.
They are nice a sturdy.

It's the regular all purpose bit set I have. I have the drill set on the slowest setting and I let the drill weight be the only pressure. Goes right through with nice clean holes.

I didn't wire it till last. The cork piece fit snug in the enclosure space side to side. I left it out and drilled the holes in the enclosure then put it in lined it up and held it in place while I drilled through it using the holes in the enclosure. I would have liked to drill it through the wood to the outside but the drill doesn't fit in the opening very well. It worked really good this way though.

Yeah, I need to find someone with a table saw I can barrow for a bit to cut the plexi glass and make a jig to hold the sheets in place while drying and it shouldn't be hard to make some. I have a decent place for the hinges which should be cheaper if I buy in bulk.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's how I drill as well. Let the machine due to the removing of material. Drill too fast you melt it, like PVC.
Now I see how you did that.

Yeah her setups are good. I remember when I saw them at a show, Jamie and Jon had a nice table, some nice adults too.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Very nice! What kind of glue did you use for the bark? I used silicon but the smell always seems to linger.
On the small enclosure I used hot glue. I use that for almost all my gluing needs as it dries quickly and doesn't leave any smell. When I go to use the glass fish tanks I have, I'll use silicon because hot glue doesn't stick well to glass.

The big enclosure I wired the cork to the wall so I could remove it later if I need to.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
On the small enclosure I used hot glue. I use that for almost all my gluing needs as it dries quickly and doesn't leave any smell. When I go to use the glass fish tanks I have, I'll use silicon because hot glue doesn't stick well to glass.

The big enclosure I wired the cork to the wall so I could remove it later if I need to.
I didn't even think of hot glue for the plastic enclosures. How long do you leave the silicon to cure?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

When you do the fish tanks, send up some pics. I'm sure they will be nice!

I liked these Aqueon tank conversion kits that the dart frog people are using. Don't know if he makes a double door version

http://frogcube.com/overview

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I didn't even think of hot glue for the plastic enclosures. How long do you leave the silicon to cure?
Yeah, hot glue is my go to for permanent enclosures. Not a lot can beat it IMO.

With silicone, I try to apply it a week or so before I need the enclosure. Most silicone shouldn't need that long to dry but I like to have it all the way cured and aired out before putting a animal in with it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
When you do the fish tanks, send up some pics. I'm sure they will be nice!

I liked these Aqueon tank conversion kits that the dart frog people are using. Don't know if he makes a double door version

http://frogcube.com/overview
That's a nice conversion. Two the the tanks I have are 2.5 gal and a 10 gal and a 25 gal (I have no idea what this one will be used for yet) that were all free. I was looking at pattern with top and bottom silicone in pieces and a double hinged door with latch that connects right to the side of the tank. We'll see what stuff I can find before I need them.