- Apr 19, 2003
Can I put some of the substrate I am going to use in my Tarantulas cage in the microwave and nuke it? is it safe?
The bolus no longer looks like an insect anymore since it is mostly masticated exoskelton and webbing. I have a couple Ts that bury their boluses. Some will mold if the substrate is moist on the surface. While my T's don't go in exactly the same spot everytime they do go to the bathroom and depost there boluses in the same general area unless I disturb them or the spot. The biggest problem I see inside the shelters are cricket legs seem to fall off and get left in the shelter if they like to eat in there.Originally posted by Mike G.
Different topic but related... I can't find any of the cricket boluses after my T's eat. Do some T's not leave any remains, or I'm I not looking close enough?? If I can't find the boluses and hence leave them in the T's cage, will they decompose, or will they mold?? Is it true that T's are clean and will poop and deposit the cricket remains in one spot, or do I have to disturd my T's and clean out from under their cork bark cave???
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Verm. is essentially inert so that lessens the chance of any growths without a food source but I have seen it grow cobweb mold and trychoderma but that was under much more wet conditions than you would keep a T and without ventilation. Many molds grow quickly in stagnant conditions with high levels of CO2. When he said substrate I was thinking peatmoss and soil rather than pure vermiculite as a substrate.Originally posted by MizM
I don't know if my conditions encourage mold and such, but I SWEAR by pure vermiculite. Never had and little moldies with it!
I have to agree with you on the sterile/not sterile statement but I think that you should always sterilize your substrate no matter what. You have no idea what has come in contact with whatever you are purchasing. If you think about it, you have no idea where these items have been stored or what they have been stored next to. Sterilizing is added insurance that you are not intoducing a foriegn substance that could wipe out your collection.Originally posted by Immortal_sin
I am one of the people that NEVER nuke, cook, boil, sterilize, etc any of the substrate I use. Once sterilized, it becomes not sterilized anymore once it comes in tontact with AIR ....
Unless you live in a bubble, I'd not bother
Also, if you are having mold or fungus problems, try a different substrate, or even a different BAG of substrate.
I had lots of trouble with potting soil, didn't seem to matter what brand, but have had literally none with peat moss, or a mix of peat and vermiculite.
Just my .02