Micah, the vegatarian G. rosea

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's cool in my books. :cool: :D
I might try this with some of my organic peas, did you cook it first?

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a first I see this T wanted more of and organic, higher in antioxidants diet. :p Great stuff! :clap:

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope, it's raw. I did it with "Green Giant" frozen peas & carrots, picked out a few peas, thawed them out, and she accepted it readily. I wouldn't make it a regular thing though. How often is a T going to encounter a pea in the wild?

I wouldn't use canned peas, just because of all the preservatives they add in.

JungleGuts see for yourself;

Last edited:

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh my. That pee is all shriveled up. Definately the wierdest thing i've ever seen.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol, that's really funny. i don't imagine the rosie can do much with the nutrients in a pea, but it sure looks like she enjoys it {D

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
lol, that's really funny. i don't imagine the rosie can do much with the nutrients in a pea, but it sure looks like she enjoys it {D
I'm sure it can suck all the water out of it, and that's not such a bad thing really :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
haha wow that is very interesting!:clap: How did it take it?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nope, it's raw. I did it with "Green Giant" frozen peas & carrots, picked out a few peas, thawed them out, and she accepted it readily. I wouldn't make it a regular thing though. How often is a T going to encounter a pea in the wild?
Haha, I've had a few of mine eat thawed block of cod, but this...I'd suspect it's because the intelligence level of the tarantula approaches that of the pea =)

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Come to think of it, one thing I'm not sure of is if it's a waste of good digestive juices for the T. There is no problem if the juices can just as much digest the vegetable as they digest an insect, but I doubt(! - not know for a fact) that they are designed to deal with plant matter. (That besides the obvious difference in contents of a pea and an insect.)

Thinking even further, if looking at a few other animals and recalling what I've heard in documentaries, digesting plant matter is quite a tough thing. That's why many of the plant eaters and grazers have such enormous and bulky bellies. The "aparatus" needs room and they have to eat quite a lot to sustain themselves (But yes, ofcourse I'm comparing to mammals, which have a much higher metabolism and thus need a lot more anyway.)

Only looking at the above I'd agree, best not to try this too often.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Come to think of it, one thing I'm not sure of is if it's a waste of good digestive juices for the T. There is no problem if the juices can just as much digest the vegetable as they digest an insect, but I doubt(! - not know for a fact) that they are designed to deal with plant matter. (That besides the obvious difference in contents of a pea and an insect.)
They obviously are designed for it coz that T dissolved it! lol If it can dissolve a cricket or cockroaches insides, it can kill a pea :p

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's cool! It may be the cutest thing i've ever seen a tarantula do. I'm trying it with my little 'Gammy'

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think she just mashed it up to obtain moisture, no?

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are some of the nutrients T's need in peas but I think it's not sufficient.

As for the difficulty digesting it, remember that it's the solid fibers and vegetal matters that need all those stomach in obligate herbivores; whatever the T doen't liquify turns into a bolus. So what gets in is water and some elements that would anyway end in the prey's digestive track and would most likely be absorbed by the T.

Also, a lot of animal sometimes cross over... like a dog eating some vegetables or cannibalism in rodents. So small amounts of very watery vegetals should't harm...

...I had way more to worry about with the plastic fishing jig that my friend dangled in front of my LP:eek:

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard of various species feeding on fruits before. I'd have to hunt down the references. The sugars and water and in this case some of the soluble proteins would be available, the cellulose would not be (ruminants use bacteria).

Nice picture and I doubt there is any risk to the animal if it chooses to eat peas.

Christian

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
They obviously are designed for it coz that T dissolved it! lol If it can dissolve a cricket or cockroaches insides, it can kill a pea :p
Desolved or chewed it to a pulp? There is a big difference.