MF OBT arriving next week. Enclosure advice

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'm getting a 5" female P murinus next week. Just sitting here pondering which enclosure to use and I thought I'd throw it out there.
I have a 10 gallon glass aquarium I could use or a kind of opaque Sterilite container of a similar size. I use the Sterilite containers for my burrowers because you never really see them anyway and the glass ones for viewing. I have mixed thoughts on the OBT's enclosure. The opaque appeals a little because it might lend the girl a little privacy. On the other hand, the glass would be better to see where she is should I need to open the enclosure and of course view the webbing and checking out my new orange beauty.
Thoughts?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
More visibility is always better with a species such as P. murinus. Honestly with any species the more visibility the better both aesthetically and as as safety precaution.

My $0.02

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Well with an investment such as that, cleanliness and as little stress as possible is a must if you intend on breeding said female. Heres how i see it. If you go with the glass, make sure she has lots of places to hide and feel comfortable. If you go with the opaque container, make sure it is well ventilated but has enough room for her to do her thing. Both have drawbacks, I do like glass, but for simplicity and ease of maintenance containers work well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you are concerned about viewing in a glass tank. You can completely setup the tank such that the T is forced to burrow only along the sides of the glass. I prefer clear visibility. I didn't buy Ts so I can only see them clearly when the lid is off.

Plenty of peeps keep OWs in opaque containers w/no issues, some are getting lucky (the same is said for those w/OWs in glass too hah), some know what they are doing.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Another opinion? While I provide a hide for all my T's except the burrowers, would you provide a hide or give more anchor points so she can web it up? I've never had a heavy webbing Tarantula before.

If you are concerned about viewing in a glass tank. You can completely setup the tank such that the T is forced to burrow only along the sides of the glass.
On my burrower's, I've never been able to force them to burrow on the side, only suggest to them that they do so, by starting the hole on the side. My H gigas has never cared for my suggestions though. She likes me, so I give her a pass.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Another opinion? While I provide a hide for all my T's except the burrowers, would you provide a hide or give more anchor points so she can web it up? I've never had a heavy webbing Tarantula before.

On my burrower's, I've never been able to force them to burrow on the side, only suggest to them that they do so, by starting the hole on the side. My H gigas has never cared for my suggestions though. She likes me, so I give her a pass.
Webbing- I normally provide anchor points. There's been a couple of times where I haven't to see how opportunistic they are. My GBB doesn't need any, but I do give her some generally. My balfouri don't, and they turned the entire void above the substrate into a cloud of web, the same is true for incei. The incei will use their cork slab and use their cork slab (that they burrow under/inside) burrow as a base to build off of. There are certain species that just don't "care", they make it happen haha.

Regarding forcing them, you aren't setting it up right.

I'm referring to specific setup tank style, I forget the specific name attached to it. What you do is fill up the the center of the tank with something that can't be moved, maybe a large plastic box, stone/glass blocks etc. Then you pour substrate along the sides. Thus when the T burrows and encounters the hard surface they will be forced to go only into the soft sub. It's the only way to guarantee seeing your burrowing T. They may or may not web up the glass at some point, even if you cover it w/cloth etc to minimize light.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
IMO a big enclosure like a 10 gallon is too much for a P.murinus. My female is housed in a medium KK ( 'Dragon' -- Germany brand ) with 6 inches of dry substrate, water dish, a piece of cork bark (she loves and burrowed under). I offered fake leaves as well but she performed "surf" on those until they crumbled, ah ah, and ended covered with web.

Offering a lot of substrate reduce the chance of a "web only" enclosure which IMO, aside for the 'Halloween' effect, isn't the best when inside there's not a 'GBB', and maintenance this way is more easy as well for cleaning the water dish :-s

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Webbing- I normally provide anchor points. There's been a couple of times where I haven't to see how opportunistic they are. My GBB doesn't need any, but I do give her some generally. My balfouri don't, and they turned the entire void above the substrate into a cloud of web, the same is true for incei. The incei will use their cork slab and use their cork slab (that they burrow under/inside) burrow as a base to build off of. There are certain species that just don't "care", they make it happen haha.

Regarding forcing them, you aren't setting it up right.

I'm referring to specific setup tank style, I forget the specific name attached to it. What you do is fill up the the center of the tank with something that can't be moved, maybe a large plastic box, stone/glass blocks etc. Then you pour substrate along the sides. Thus when the T burrows and encounters the hard surface they will be forced to go only into the soft sub. It's the only way to guarantee seeing your burrowing T. They may or may not web up the glass at some point, even if you cover it w/cloth etc to minimize light.
My burrow point was a little tongue in cheek, but nice follow up. I try to learn something new every day. Viper, you gave me a good one today. Thanks

Walker253

Arachnobaron
IMO a big enclosure like a 10 gallon is too much for a P.murinus. My female is housed in a medium KK ( 'Dragon' -- Germany brand ) with 6 inches of dry substrate, water dish, a piece of cork bark (she loves and burrowed under). I offered fake leaves as well but she performed "surf" on those until they crumbled, ah ah, and ended covered with web.

Offering a lot of substrate reduce the chance of a "web only" enclosure which IMO, aside for the 'Halloween' effect, isn't the best when inside there's not a 'GBB', and maintenance this way is more easy as well for cleaning the water dish :-s
Good points Chris! Question though on a medium KK with 6" of substrate. Isn't that awfully close to the top and a quick escape with a 5" OBT? I have heard 10 gal many times to give the OBT space so it makes them a little more secure and hopefully less wanting to fight. Something else to think about. I have until Wednesday when she arrives. I'd like to say I'm ready for "The Prophet", but is anybody truly ever ready? There are no real textbook OBT's. I guess that's what makes them great.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Good points Chris! Question though on a medium KK with 6" of substrate. Isn't that awfully close to the top and a quick escape with a 5" OBT? I have heard 10 gal many times to give the OBT space so it makes them a little more secure and hopefully less wanting to fight. Something else to think about. I have until Wednesday when she arrives. I'd like to say I'm ready for "The Prophet", but is anybody truly ever ready? There are no real textbook OBT's. I guess that's what makes them great.
I tell you, IMO not. The medium KK I use are however 22 cm tall (25 X 20 X 21/22 height) and, no doubts, while P.murinus are masters into adapt, I have reasons to believe that if given the opportunity, to burrow remain their first choice, because enter the opportunistic instinct.

Now there's a thing to say. While those are and remain very defensive T's, sometimes their behavior is exagerated. I can say that mine is very shy and loves to "hide and wait" in the burrow rather than bolt and "fight". Sometimes even my C.marshalli is more defensive, ah ah.

I think yes, man, you seem a very good keeper... you wouldn't have issues IMO :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is a picture of my female, prior to a molt, of months ago. There's however, from the substrate to the top, more than a good packet of 20 normal cigarettes :)

I avoided the "web only" enclosure doing this. Basically she burrowed under the cork... the entrance/exit holes are the "bridge" cork bark ones. Water dish on the right, no web at all. Easy to refill, easy to take out for clean (I use only glass water dish, not disposable ones).

Yeah no doubts, for someone I understand could be a "Jack In The Box" enclosure but I work very well with that solution :-s

Long live the Prophet :bookworm:

OBT.JPG

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I took your enclosure advice Chris. The Prophet was shipped today and is on her way! Talking to the guy I purchased her from, she is particularly nasty and has tasted human flesh. At least she won't be boring.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I took your enclosure advice Chris. The Prophet was shipped today and is on her way! Talking to the guy I purchased her from, she is particularly nasty and has tasted human flesh. At least she won't be boring.
Ah ah, I'm sure you will love her, man :)
They are really striking T's, indeed... I hate how much IMO underrated P.murinus are, had always this impression in general, since they are cheap & always available. But those legs (internal part) colors, the attitude... man :-s

And they aren't that unruly, those lovely :angelic: