Mexican Redknee

Ralsei25

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm considering getting a Mexican Redknee tarantula and I was wondering the difference between Brachypelma hamorii and Brachypelma smithi, more specifically their utricating hairs, since I read somewhere that they are worse than others species. I greatly appreciate help or recommendations!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Have both. Have gotten haired by both. No difference to me. Side by side I can see slight color difference on carapace and knees. But maybe that’s just in my head.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello, I'm considering getting a Mexican Redknee tarantula and I was wondering the difference between Brachypelma hamorii and Brachypelma smithi, more specifically their utricating hairs, since I read somewhere that they are worse than others species. I greatly appreciate help or recommendations!
B. hamorii used to be B. smithi but was reclassified (much to my dismay).

There are other species that have much worse urticating setae than the Brachypelmas. But your reaction to them may be different. As is said on the car forums, "your mileage may vary."

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Unless you're looking for a smithi you'll almost certainly end up with a hamorri. No difference in care, no discernable difference in temperament.

If you take the most mildest of precautions you probably won't get haired, other species have way way more savage hairs than any brachypelma

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
No one can tell you what your reactions to urticating setae will be, but exposure increases reaction, and I’ve never heard of any different in setae reaction between the two species. I think that’s what you are asking.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The difference depends on the person. You won’t know till you get zapped by both more than once.

These are not the worst of the NW species either. Average in my experience, but not pleasant.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
B. annitha is now B. smithi
B. smithi is now B. hamorii

Slightly different colorations on carapace and knees, also spermathecae is different. Search on google B annitha vs hamorii to see the differences.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have both, the most obvious differences are in the colouration of the tibia (1), trochanter (2), and patella (3). Carapace colouration can't be used to differentiate them, I'm told the same is true with cheliceral banding (4, although I've never personally seen a genuine smithi with it).

hamorii vs smithi.jpg

People react differently to being haired by different species, Brachypelma hairs have never bothered me but there are people who break out in hives from doing routine maintenance and people can develop reactions with repeated exposure. IME Lasiodora have by far the worst hairs in the hobby, Theraphosa are pretty bad too.