Mexican RedKnee - Flipping Hairs

acuevas0207

Arachnopeon
I am starting to learn to care for my boss's Mexican Red Knee tarantula. She means the world to him and I just want to do my best. I have someone in the office that is saying she flips her hair all over her home/ground to protect herself. Is this true? I have tried looking it up and can not find back up for this theory or fact. Would love to hear your thoughts. I was also told by this person they like to be handled and picked up. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, they flick hairs.

No, they do not have the mental capacity to enjoy being handled. Can flick hairs if handled, which can leave itchy red welts on your skin.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have someone in the office that is saying she flips her hair all over her home/ground to protect herself. Is this true?
Yes, tarantulas will kick hairs off around the entrances of their hides/burrows to deter potential intruders, and onto their moulting mats so that they have some protection whilst moulting.

I was also told by this person they like to be handled and picked up.
Don't handle, no tarantula likes being handled, the tarantula gets nothing out of it except for the risk of injury/death

Benzen

Arachnopeon
If you really have to handle, which is generally not recommended, do it on the ground, so if the spider decides to bolt it won't fall from fatal heights. And when it bolts, let it bolt.