Mexican Redknee Enclosure

MKG

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking this is a good first T. Total beginner. If you have one can you please share your experience and post a picture of the enclosure? Thank you.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You're getting a juvie, yes? Make things easy on yourself, just get a Kritter Catcher or whatever they're called. Any pet store sells them. Just be sure that you put in enough substrate so that the distance from the substrate to the lid is no more than 2x the dls.

Beyond that, you don't need anything other than a water dish and a hide.

Last edited:

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Great spider! I just picked up a large female in addition to the sling I already had. Their care is pretty simple. Terrestrial setup, dry substrate, water dish, not too much space from enclosure floor to enclosure ceiling so they can't hurt themselves, a hide, feed them as you would any other spider. Pretty standard tarantula care. Definitely a good choice for a beginner or advanced collector alike!

Here is the enclosure I have my female in:
B smithi enclosure.JPG
A few caveats here though. This is not an ideal setup for this species. It's the best I could do with the materials I had, and it works just fine, but I'd like to point a few things out. First, the height from substrate to lid is probably a little too high. A fall from the top could injure the spider, though this girl seems pretty intent on staying on the ground. Secondly, the heat stick on the left wall is unnecessary. This species, and most tarantulas, are fine at room temperature. It was already on the enclosure, and I never peeled it off. Third, if you use exo-terras, replace the screen lid with a piece of plexiglass with holes drilled in it. This I have done, though you can't see it in the picture. A T's tarsal claws can get caught in screen tops.

Highly recommended BTW. Pick one up if you can!

Last edited:

MKG

Arachnopeon
You're getting a juvie, yes? Make things easy on yourself, just get a Kritter Catcher or whatever they're called. Any pet store sells them. Just be sure that you put in enough substrate so that the distance from the substrate to the lid is no more than 2x the dls.

Beyond that, you don't need anything other than a water dish and a hide.
Thank you for the information:)

MKG

Arachnopeon
Great spider! I just picked up a large female in addition to the sling I already had. They're care is pretty simple. Terrestrial setup, dry substrate, water dish, not too much space from enclosure floor to enclosure ceiling so they can't hurt themselves, a hide, feed them as you would any other spider. Pretty standard tarantula care. Definitely a good choice for a beginner or advanced collector alike!

Here is the enclosure I have my female in:
View attachment 235275
A few caveats here though. This is not an ideal setup for this species. It's the best I could do with the materials I had, and it works just fine, but I'd like to point a few things out. First, the height from substrate to lid is probably a little too high. A fall from the top could injure the spider, though this girl seems pretty intent on staying on the ground. Secondly, the heat stick on the left wall is unnecessary. This species, and most tarantulas, are fine at room temperature. It was already on the enclosure, and I never peeled it off. Third, if you use exo-terras, replace the screen lid with a piece of plexiglass with holes drilled in it. This I have done, though you can't see it in the picture. A T's tarsal claws can get caught in screen tops.

Highly recommended BTW. Pick one up if you can!
Thank you for the info:)