Mexican Red Rump: Sore and Bald Abdomen (Underside) Help!

Laura J

Arachnopeon
I was looking after my friend's 10 year old red rump tarantula and noticed that the underside of her abdomen is bald and looks sore (picture included). I replaced her soil and hide, and made sure there was nothing abrasive she could rub against. The bald spot still got slightly bigger while I was taking care of her. She is webbing and doesn't seem stressed or agitated, but according to the owner she hasn't been eating for the last few weeks.

Before I cleaned out her terrarium, I noticed the old substrate and hide were really dirty and possibly moldy. Could this be what caused the baldness, or could she be sick? Since it isn't on the top of her abdomen I didn't think it could be related to premolt.
20200104_182136.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
A bald spot is nothing to be alarmed about.

Mold isnt harmful. The t isnt "sick".

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Before I cleaned out her terrarium, I noticed the old substrate and hide were really dirty and possibly moldy. Could this be what caused the baldness, or could she be sick?
Na, mould is harmless. It looks like a drag injury

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A bald spot is nothing to be alarmed about.

Mold isnt harmful. The t isnt "sick".
Hes talking about the black blotch above the spinnerettes but I don’t think it should a big worry not a cyst .

Na, mould is harmless. It looks like a drag injury
A minor drag injury could end up series like what happened to my obese lp. He definitely should make sure to soften soil or add moss .Maybe obesity caused the tumor or soil don’t known ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have seen those ulcers showing up on tarantulas who are overweight and have a tendency to drag their abdomens on the ground. Once a tarantula reaches full grown, and their moulting schedule is often years apart, then their weight should be kept in check and they should not be allowed to get obese.
Any ulcer like that weakens their exoskeleton and could result in their abdomens opening up during moulting. We recently saw that happen with an obese LP in the tarantula FB group I moderate. Unfortunately, you are unable to reverse the ulcers completely, but keeping them a good weight will prevent it from getting worse.

Laura J

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone! I will relay this information to her owner.