Mexican Red Rump feeding..?

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, I have a 1 inch Mexican Red Rump I got last night. I fed it one cricket today. How many times should I feed it a week, just 1?

Also, do they need humidity? Thx!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Vagans slings like to dig so make sure whatever you are keeping it in has deep enough substrate to allow her to do so....... I keep my vagans slings a little moist but not soaked. As for feeding once a week is fine but she wont eat to much before its time for the next molt. I would say 3-4 feedings will get her to the next molt.

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, thanks! I have two more questions now.

First one is do they need a hiding place if they are burrowers?

My next questions is do these web alot or not?

PS; heres a picture of it!

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd give it a hide anyway. Somethng simple like half a flower pot or even just a piece of bark is fine. Mine have never webbed a lot.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What a cutie!! B. vagans are big burrowers and diggers, I would still offer a hide but make it a light weight one, like half of a plastic margerine tub. My vagans always dugs under her hides so I give her light ones so they won't fall on her and hurt her.
I feed once a week, mine is almost 3 inches now, and she eats 2 to 3 large crickets once a week. I mist her once a week and she always has a full water dish. Mine does not web much, but she is very active, and skittish. I'm hoping she'll grow out of it.

carrieh

Arachnopeon
Where did you get it? I receantly got one as well, but mine is only 1/4" to 1/2". It still has no colour in it, but shure does grab at the crickets.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would still give a hide. no added humidity. feed 3-4 crickets per week. leave in a water dish. enough substrate to burrow but they arent extensive intricate burrowers like h. gigas or h. lividium. you may want to pre-start a burrow for him/her.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would still give a hide. no added humidity. feed 3-4 crickets per week. leave in a water dish. enough substrate to burrow but they arent extensive intricate burrowers like h. gigas or h. lividium. you may want to pre-start a burrow for him/her.
3-4 is a little much. One is fine.

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My rump' keeps burrying its old tunnel and building a new one? Is this normal? Oh, and now I can see him in his new hole but he covered the hole. Is this normal aswell?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
*sigh*
saying to feed it x/week crickets is useless unless you specify size of crix

feeding one adult cricket per week would be too much. feeding it 4 micro/pinhead crix a week would be about right or not quite enough

it also matters what temp it is at. if you keep it at 90*F it will need more food to stay the same "fatness" as if you were keeping it at 60*F

basically i don't worry about how much or how often... i look at how fat the butt it is and feed accordingly. a small butt gets more food than a big butt =P

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know what it means when their abdomen turns white?? :wall: My little red rumps abdomen is white now.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes this means your T is a bit stressed out.......... The hair that was their is mean to be thrown off as a defense mech....... and if a T is stressed a lot they will go bald....... but the hair does come back on the next molt.

If you are handling her a lot or moving the tank setup around, try to lay off that stuff for a while and let her settle down.

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
o crap i feel bad.. becauase I have been moving it around because her burrow is on the side which i cant see straight. :wall: I guess i'll be stopping that.