Mexican Red kneed tarantula and correct prey size

Samuel255

Arachnopeon
I have a Mexican Red kneed tarantula. and I am unsure what prey size I should be giving her. she is currently about 1.5 - 2 inches long.

I have just purchased 4th Black crickets and 4th Whites. Are these suitable?

Also from the picture above her abdomen is black does this mean she is about to molt?

Thanks

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I usually feed to mines B.dubia and Acheta domesticus (size/s depends by T's of course) and I always offer, no matter (as a rule of mine) always one prey at time. I see more than one in your enclosure if my eyes doesn't betray me.

Now, judging from the pic, the size of that roach and cricket IMO are ok, and your Theraphosidae seems a well fed one, so could be in pre-molt. Anyway if she doesn't want to eat, I would remove those.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
If the specimen's bald abdominal area is jet black then its indicative that its in the late stage of pre-molt, I would remove any feeders that may be in the enclosure for the T's safety... at 1.5-2'' I give my specimens adult crickets and they have no problem overpowering them. Like Chris I feed specimens one at a time.

Samuel255

Arachnopeon
Brilliant thanks guys. There are two in there at the moment. I will take one out and leave the other one in there for a little while (they have only been in there 10 - 20 mins) until I'm sure she is not interested then I will remove it. She only molted about a month ago. Is it normal for her to be ready to molt again?

Thanks

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You would have to post better pictures of the abdomen for anyone to help with the premolt. From the picture posted, you can't tell.

As for the crickets, they are more than suitable for your critter.

Most feed roaches. That is all I fed mine when I had a larger collection. For me, it was because I could have a lot for cheap and at various sizes for my collection. And they are easier to care for a breed.

If you have a smaller collection, crickets are fine for them.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brilliant thanks guys. There are two in there at the moment. I will take one out and leave the other one in there for a little while (they have only been in there 10 - 20 mins) until I'm sure she is not interested then I will remove it. She only molted about a month ago. Is it normal for her to be ready to molt again?

Thanks
Highly doubtful she/he is in premolt that soon after a molt. Based on her abdomen size, she might not be hungry.

Samuel255

Arachnopeon
Highly doubtful she/he is in premolt that soon after a molt. Based on her abdomen size, she might not be hungry.
How much should she be eating as a rule of thumb for her size? Just so I know when not to worry if she turns food down.

Thanks

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How much should she be eating as a rule of thumb for her size? Just so I know when not to worry if she turns food down.

Thanks
There really is no rule of thumb in how much. Some will eat all they can. Others may eat once a year. The size of your smithi. I'd feed 2-3 crickets every week. If it was in my collection. If it started refusing to eat, offer it one every few days and watch it. If he/she don't eat it after 10-15 minutes, I would remove it and try again in a few days and just repeat the process.

Pay attention to the abdomen in the meantime. Once it goes completely black. Don't offer it food until he/she is ready after the molt.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Indeed, she isn't hungry. Just wait. Wait a couple of days, then try again (I suggest one prey at time). As for your question, there isn't a rule. I'd love to have pretty 'chubby' T's but without exagerations, just a couple of (well fed/hydrated) adult crickets a week for my adults :)